Information about Hydroxyprogesterone
Hydroxyprogesterone is used in premature labor.
How hydroxyprogesterone works
Hydroxyprogesterone is a progestin (female hormone). It works by modulating the immune response of the mother to prevent rejection of the embryo and allow its attachment to the uterus. This prevents miscarriage and helps lower the risk of premature birth in women who have had one premature delivery in the past.
Common side effects of hydroxyprogesterone
Itching, Nausea, Hives, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Hydroxyprogesterone
- ₹157 to ₹254Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹123Sanzyme Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹210Kee Pharma2 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹176Obsurge Biotech Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹250Colinz Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹94 to ₹190Mac Millon Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹85Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹189Mac Millon Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹40Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹133Rax Health Care Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydroxyprogesterone
- Hydroxyprogesterone is used in pregnant women to help lower the risk of giving birth too early (preterm birth).
- It is only given to a woman who has had a preterm delivery in the past.
- It is not for use in women who are pregnant with more than one baby (twins, triplets, etc.).
- It is administered only by or under the immediate supervision of your doctor. Your doctor can start giving you the injection every week between 16 and 20 weeks and continue through week 37, or until you deliver.
- It may affect blood sugar levels. Monitor your blood sugar regularly.
- Inform your doctor if you notice yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine, or stomach pain. These could be symptoms of a serious liver problem.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you have pain in the chest, groin or legs, difficulty with breathing, sudden severe headache, slurred speech, sudden unexplained shortness of breath, a sudden loss of coordination, or vision changes while using this medicine.
Frequently asked questions for Hydroxyprogesterone
Q. What is Hydroxyprogesterone and what it is used for?
Hydroxyprogesterone is a type of female sex hormone. It helps to lower the risk of delivering a baby too early (preterm) in a pregnant women, who had delivered a preterm baby in the past.
Q. How and in what dose should I use Hydroxyprogesterone?
Hydroxyprogesterone is given as an injection, by a doctor or trained nurse. The dose is decided by your doctor, depending on your exact medical condition.
Q. What if I miss a dose of Hydroxyprogesterone?
Ideally, you should try not to miss any dose. However, if you miss a dose consult with your doctor as soon as you remember.
Q. What are the side effects of using Hydroxyprogesterone?
The common side effects of using Hydroxyprogesterone are local site reactions at injection site, nausea, itching, diarrhea, and hives. If any of this side effects bother you, please consult with your doctor.