Information about Hydroxyprogesterone
Hydroxyprogesterone is used in preterm labor.
How hydroxyprogesterone works
Hydroxyprogesterone is a progestin (female hormones). It works as part of hormone replacement therapy by replacing the amount of oestrogen in the uterus. It works to bring on menstruation by replacing the natural progesterone that some women are missing.
Common side effects of hydroxyprogesterone
Edema (swelling), Abdominal bloating, Anxiety, Irritability, Depression, Muscle pain
Available Medicine for Hydroxyprogesterone
- ₹143 to ₹231Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹123Sanzyme Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹176Obsurge Biotech Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹110 to ₹182Kee Pharma2 variant(s)
- ₹94 to ₹190Mac Millon Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹250Colinz Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹40Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹85Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹81Unichem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹133Rax Health Care Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydroxyprogesterone
- Tell your doctor if you have diabetes, pre-diabetes (high blood sugar levels, but not high enough to be called diabetes) or a family history of diabetes, before taking hydroxyprogesterone.
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure during pregnancy (preeclampsia), fits (epilepsy), heart or kidney functioning problems, you should be monitored for fluid retention while on treatment with Hydroxyprogesterone.
- Tell your doctor if you have severe pulsating headaches (migraines), asthma, history of depression or high blood pressure (hypertension), before taking Hydroxyprogesterone.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any signs of depression or jaundice.
- Consult your doctor regarding continuing treatment with hydroxyprogesterone after delivery and during breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Hydroxyprogesterone
Q. Is hydroxyprogesterone the same as progesterone?
No. Progesterone is a natural sex hormone produced by the body and hydroxyprogesterone is its synthetic form. Both have different physiological effects and are used for the treatment of different conditions
Q. Is hydroxyprogesterone safe?
It is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.