Information about Hydroquinone
Hydroquinone is used in the treatment of melasma.
How hydroquinone works
Hydroquinone is a skin lightening medication. It works by reducing the amount of a pigment (melanin) that causes darkening of skin. It does so by suppressing the activity of tyrosinase, the enzyme required to make melanin.
Common side effects of hydroquinone
Dry skin, Itching, Skin burn, Skin peeling, Erythema
Available Medicine for Hydroquinone
- ₹105Yash Pharma Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹117Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹375Unimarck Healthcare Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹81 to ₹104Menarini India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹79Resilient Cosmecueticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹72Palsons Derma1 variant(s)
- ₹90Panzer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹70Dermo Care Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹56Dermo Care Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹157Percos India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydroquinone
- Hydroquinone helps in lightening of hyperpigmented skin.
- It should always be used along with sun-avoidance measures, like using sunscreens (UV-A and UV-B protective) and wearing protective clothing.
- Apply a thin film to and around the affected area/lesion.
- Avoid getting it in your eyes or mouth. If this happens, rinse with water immediately.
- Apply it as per the dose and duration advised by your doctor with regular follow-up.
- Apply a very small amount of cream to check an allergic reaction. Continue with the treatment if no allergic reaction occurs in 24 hours.
- Do not apply on broken or infected areas of skin. Discontinue use if you experience irritation or allergy and consult your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Hydroquinone
Q. Is Hydroquinone safe/good for skin?
Yes. Hydroquinone is used to bleach dark patches of skin. It is available as creams to be applied externally and is safe if used as directed, for the prescribed duration by your doctor. Occasionally it may cause side effects-red, sore, itchy, inflamed skin indicating an allergic reaction. Please contact your doctor immediately if you notice any such skin reactions
Q. Is Hydroquinone a steroid?
No.Hydroquinone does not have a structure or effect similar to steroids
Q. Is Hydroquinone safe to use on face?
Yes.Hydroquinone is used to bleach dark patches of skin and can be used on the face. It is available as creams to be applied externally and is safe if used as directed for the prescribed duration by your doctor. Please limit sun exposures and apply sunscreens or cover the treated area with protective clothing. Even minimal exposure to sun can reverse the bleaching effect of Hydroquinone
Q. Is Hydroquinone banned in India?
No.Hydroquinone is available and is not a banned drug in India
Q. Is Hydroquinone carcinogenic/does Hydroquinone cause cancer?
Studies of Hydroquinone in animals have indicated some evidences of cancer causing potential (carcinogenicity). However, the carcinogenic effects in human are not known
Q. Is Hydroquinone toxic?
No. Hydroquinone is not toxic if used as directed, for the prescribed duration by your doctor. It is available as creams and meant for external use on the skin onl
Q. Does Hydroquinone lighten/bleach your skin?
Hydroquinone bleaches/lightens dark patches of skin
Q. Does Hydroquinone lighten skin permanently?
It reduces the accumulation of skin pigment called melanin that causes darkening of skin. This effect of Hydroquinone is reversible (reversible depigmentation) with time and exposure to sun and therefore not permanent
Q. Does Hydroquinone bleach clothes?
No. Hydroquinone has no known effect on bleaching clothes
Q. Does Hydroquinone make skin darker?
Hydroquinone may cause blue-black darkening of skin. This is not the normal effect of Hydroquinone. Discontinue use and contact your doctor immediately if you notice darkening of skin upon use of Hydroquinone
Q. Does Hydroquinone help acne?
No. Hydroquinone is used to bleach or lighten dark patches of skin. It has no known effect in the treatment of acne
Q. Does Hydroquinone cause redness?
Occasionally Hydroquinone may cause side effects – redness of skin, sore, itchy, inflamed skin indicating an allergic reaction. Please contact your doctor immediately if you notice any such skin reactions.