Hydrochlorothiazide is used in fluid retention (edema), heart failure, increased blood pressure and kidney stone.
How it works
Hydrochlorothiazide lowers the blood pressure and swelling by removing extra water and electrolytes from the body.
Common side effects
Headache, Nausea, Increased blood uric acid, Decreased potassium level in blood, Glucose intolerance, Altered blood lipids
- ₹9 to ₹17Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹17Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹19Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹18Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹18Stadmed Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹161Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹18Kenn Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹22USV Ltd2 variant(s)
Do not chew, divide or crush the tablets, swallow it whole with water. Avoid taking hydrochlorothiazide at bedtime because it makes you urinate more often. It is recommended to take in early morning. Drink adequate amount of liquid to avoid becoming dehydrated or overheated. Consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects: dryness of mouth, thirst, weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, restlessness, confusion, muscle pains or cramps that doesn't go away. Do not start or continue the tablet:
- If you are allergic to sulfonamide-derived drugs (Sulfa drugs).
- If you have diabetes or increase lipid levels (cholesterol).
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- If you have any other disease such as kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, diabetes or gout, asthma and lupus erythematosus (an allergic condition which causes joint pain, skin rashes and fever).
Get up slowly from lying position to avoid dizziness. This is more common when hydrochlorothiazide is taken for the first time.Use sunscreen for photosensitivity. Avoid drinking alcohol, OTC medicines unless recommended by doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic,which increases the excretion of urine?
Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is hydrochlorothiazide a statin/ opiate?
No.It is the derivative of chlorothiazide
Q. Is hydrochlorothiazide bad for your kidneys?
No.Hydrochlorthiazide is a safe drug at prescribed dose by your doctor. Consult your doctor if you have kidney disease and follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take hydrochlorothiazide with lisinopril/ ibuprofen/ synthroid/ aspirin/ potassium/ phentermine/ losartan/ naproxen/ magnesium/ vitamins?
Taking other medicines may alter the effects of hydrochlorothiazide. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does hydrochlorothiazide cause diabetes/ erectile dysfunction/ weight loss/ gout/ constipation/tinnitus/ potassium loss?
Hydrochlorothiazide causing these side effects is rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects
Q. Does hydrochlorothiazide have sulfa in it?
Yes.Hydrochlorothiazide has sulfa and it is chemically known as 6-chloro- 3, 4-dihydro-2 H-1, 2, 4-benzothiadiazine-7-sulfonamide 1, 1-dioxide
Q. Does hydrochlorothiazide clean your system?
No.Hydrochlorothiazide reduces extra fluid in the body.