Information about Glipizide
Glipizide is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
How glipizide works
Glipizide is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose.
Common side effects of glipizide
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Glipizide
- ₹6 to ₹14USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹14RPG Life Sciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹6Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹2 to ₹15Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹5Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Jenburkt Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4Bal Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5Deys Medical1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Glipizide
- Glipizide should be taken with food.
- You may get symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) with Glipizide. Symptoms are dizziness, nausea, tremor, sweating or confusion.
- The risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) may increase if you miss or delay the meal, consume alcohol or use antidiabetic medication like insulin.
- In most cases, the symptoms will quickly vanish if you take some kind of sugar (sugar candy/cubes).
- It should be avoided or used with caution if you are also taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), alcohol, β-blockers and ACE inhibitors.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Glipizide
Q. Can you take glipizide with sulfa allergy?
You can take glipizide if you are not allergic to glipizide or drugs from the same class i.e. sulphonylureas, sulphonamides or to any ingredients of the glipizide table. Glipizide is not contraindicated in patient with sulfa allergy
Q. Can you take glipizide with or without metformin?
You can take glipizide with or without metformin. However, always follow doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Can I take glipizide with insulin?
Yes. However, always follow doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Can I take glipizide with levothyroxine?
When levothyroxine is taken with glipizide, it may compromise the blood sugar controlling effect of glipizide. However, levothyroxine and glipizide can be taken together at a dose and schedule advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take glipizide with paracetamol (Tylenol)?
Glipizide and paracetamol have no known adverse drug interactions and can be taken together. However, always follow doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Can I take glipizide with ibuprofen?
Concomitant administration of glipizide with ibuprofen may cause excessive lowering of the blood sugar level (hypoglycemia).Ibuprofen can be taken with glipizide if indicated provided that you follow the advice of the doctor regarding the dose and schedule of use of drugs.