Information about Gemcitabine
Gemcitabine is used in the treatment of ovarian cancer, head and neck cancer, cervical cancer, Testicular cancer., breast cancer, non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), blood cancer, lung cancer, bone cancer and urinary bladder cancer.
How gemcitabine works
Gemcitabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of gemcitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Hair loss, Low blood platelets, Allergic reaction, Breathlessness, Decreased white blood cell count, Increased liver enzymes, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Influenza like symptoms, Blood in urine, Skin rash, Protein in urine
Available Medicine for Gemcitabine
- ₹1456 to ₹6836Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1171 to ₹4217Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1462 to ₹5000Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1600 to ₹7500Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1171 to ₹5391Eli Lilly and Company India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1471 to ₹6100Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1069 to ₹6346Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1752 to ₹6588Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1122 to ₹7400Celon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1439 to ₹5715Panacea Biotec Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gemcitabine
- Not recommended in children or adolescents below 18 years of age.
- Inform your doctor if you have history of heart problems, vascular problems or low production of blood cells from the bone marrow (myelosupression).
- Inform your doctor if you have breathing problems or feel weak and pale as this could be a sign of kidney dysfunction; unexplained new or worsening dyspnea or evidence of severe pulmonary toxicity.
- Take precautions if you are on a controlled sodium diet, as this medicine contains some amount of sodium.
- You should undergo blood count, heart/kidney/liver function tests before therapy.
- Do not take live or attenuated vaccines during therapy and avoid contact with persons who receive them.
- Alcohol is an ingredient of this infusion. If you are suffering from alcoholism or epilepsy, you may have serious side effects. Other medication taken at this time may have altered effects.
- Women who are planning to become pregnant should be counselled about the toxic effect of this drug on babies.
- They should use two effective methods of contraception while on this therapy and 6 months after it.
- Men who are going to use this therapy should not father a child while on this therapy and 6 months after it. They should also seek guidance and counselling on sperm conservation before taking this therapy.
- Do not drive or use machinery after taking this drug as it may cause sleepiness which may worsen with alcohol use.
Frequently asked questions for Gemcitabine
Q. Is Gemcitabine a vesicant/ anthracycline/ prodrug?
Gemcitabine is not a vesicant/ anthracycline/ prodrug
Q. Does Gemcitabine cause hair loss or abdominal pain?
Yes, Gemcitabine has hair loss and abdominal pain as side effects. Please consult your doctor immediately if you experience such side effects
Q. Is Gemcitabine a cytotoxic or chemotherapy agent?
Yes, Gemcitabine is a cytotoxic chemotherapy agent
Q. Does Gemcitabine work in pancreatic cancer?
Yes, Gemcitabine is used to treat pancreatic cancer.