Information about Gemcitabine
Gemcitabine is used in the treatment of pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, breast cancer, urinary bladder cancer and non-small cell lung cancer.
How gemcitabine works
Gemcitabine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of gemcitabine
Nausea, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Hair loss, Low blood platelets, Allergic reaction, Breathlessness, Decreased white blood cell count, Increased liver enzymes, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Influenza like symptoms, Blood in urine, Skin rash, Protein in urine
Available Medicine for Gemcitabine
- ₹1456 to ₹6836Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1600 to ₹7500Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1462 to ₹5000Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1238 to ₹6200Eli Lilly and Company India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1171 to ₹4723Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1069 to ₹6346Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1122 to ₹7400Celon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1340 to ₹5720Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1752 to ₹6588Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹391 to ₹5423Neon Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gemcitabine
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.
Frequently asked questions for Gemcitabine
Q. Is Gemcitabine a vesicant/ anthracycline/ prodrug?
Gemcitabine is not a vesicant/ anthracycline/ prodrug
Q. Does Gemcitabine cause hair loss or abdominal pain?
Yes, Gemcitabine has hair loss and abdominal pain as side effects. Please consult your doctor immediately if you experience such side effects
Q. Is Gemcitabine a cytotoxic or chemotherapy agent?
Yes, Gemcitabine is a cytotoxic chemotherapy agent
Q. Does Gemcitabine work in pancreatic cancer?
Yes, Gemcitabine is used to treat pancreatic cancer.