Information about Furazolidone
Furazolidone is used in the treatment of diarrhea. It treats diarrhea caused by giardia infection.
How furazolidone works
Furazolidone is an antibiotic. It works by suppressing bacterial enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism, thereby reducing the available energy for vital cellular functions. This stops bacterial growth and treats stomach and intestinal infections.
Common side effects of furazolidone
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Stomach pain
Available Medicine for Furazolidone
- ₹3Syncom Formulations I Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹1 to ₹7Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12TOSC International Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11Suzikem Drugs Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹89M. Frank Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹35Western Remedies1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Furazolidone
- Furazolidone is used for the treatment of diarrhea caused by giardia infection.
- Finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- It is not as bitter as some of the other medicines used for the treatment of giardiasis.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking and till 4 days after taking this medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Furazolidone
Q. Is Furazolidone used for all kinds of diarrhea?
No, Furazolidone is only used to treat diarrhea caused by bacteria or protozoa.
Q. Can the use of Furazolidone cause stomach upset?
Yes, Furazolidone can cause stomach upset. You can take it with food or after food to minimize the stomach upset.