Information about Folic Acid
Folic acid uses
Folic Acid is used in the treatment of anemia due to folic acid deficiency.
How folic acid works
Folic acid is a form of vitamin B. It plays a vital role in the formation of red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body. Thus, it replenishes the body's stores of folic acid, thereby correcting folic acid deficiency anemia. It is also essential in pregnancy due to its role in the development of the unborn baby's brain and spinal cord.
Common side effects of folic acid
Nausea, Abdominal distension, Decreased appetite, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Folic Acid
- ₹169Triton Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹70Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹48Gujarat Terce Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14Morepen Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15Med Manor Organics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹19Icon Pharma & Surgicals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Folic Acid
- Folic Acid is used for the treatment of folic acid deficiency.
- It is also taken before and during pregnancy to decrease the risk of defects in the neural tube, which forms the spinal cord in the baby.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures as you may need a higher dose of the seizure medicines than what you normally take.
Frequently asked questions for Folic Acid
Q. Does folic acid contain iron?
Folic acid is a component of the B group of vitamins
Q. Can I take folic acid with iron supplement?
It does not contain iron and can be taken with iron supplement
Q. Does vitamin D have folic acid?
Folic acid is a component of the B group of vitamins and it does not have Vitamin D
Q. Is folic acid good for everyone/skin/health/polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)/hair loss/anemia?
Everyone needs folic acid for good health. It is good for skin, hair, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and anemia. However, patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding the use of folic acid
Q. What is Folvite/ Fol123/ Folvite MB tablet used for?
Folvite/ Fol123/ Folvite MB are the trade names for active drug folic acid. Folvite contains only folic acid which is a component of the B group of vitamins. While Fol123/ Folvite MB, in addition to folic acid also has other forms of vitamin B. In addition folic acid is also used for prevention of folate deficiency caused by some medicines (e.g. phenytoin, phenobarbital and primidone used to treat epilepsy), folate deficiency caused by long-term red blood cell damage or kidney dialysis However, patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding the dose and duration of use of folic acid
Q. How long can I take folic acid for?
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration
Q. Does folic acid have side effects increase weight/acidity?
Folic acid may have rare side effect like acidity, while it has no known effect on weight gain
Q. Can I take folic acid with birth control?
Folic acid supplementation does not affect birth control, and can be taken if you are suffering from anemia due to folic acid deficiency However, always follow the advice of the doctor regarding the dose and duration of use of folic acid
Q. Can I take folic acid with methotrexate/warfarin/calcium/metformin/antibiotics?
Folic acid may interact with medicines such as methotrexate/sulfonamide antibiotics (sulfasalazine, cotrimoxazole etc). It has no known effect if taken with warfarin/calcium/ metformin.