Information about Flurazepam
Flurazepam is used in the treatment of insomnia.
How flurazepam works
Flurazepam is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of flurazepam
Sleepiness, Uncoordinated body movements, Fatigue, Irritability, Memory impairment, Headache, Dry mouth, Dizziness, Slurred speech, Depression, Constipation
Available Medicine for Flurazepam
- ₹34 to ₹70Molekule India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹19Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹47Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Flurazepam
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of Flurazepam is very high.
- If you are taking Flurazepam for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety, it should not be used more than 4 weeks.
- It may become less effective over the time.
- Avoid driving or operating dangerous machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Flurazepam, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Flurazepam
Q. Is flurazepam a controlled substance?
Yes. Flurazepam is a controlled substance. It has some potential for abuse and is available only if prescribed by a doctor
Q. Is flurazepam a narcotic/addictive?
No. Flurazepam is not a narcotic. Flurazepam can be addictive/habit forming if used for long time. It should be taken only as per the dose and duration advised by the doctor
Q. Is flurazepam like xanax?
Flurazepam and Xanax (trade name for alprazolam) both belong to same class of medicines called benzodiazepines, and have similar effect on brain. However, both these medicines are advised for different illnesses and hence should be consumed only upon doctor's advice
Q. Is flurazepam superior to oral diazepam?
Flurazepam and diazepam belong to same category of drugs called benzodiazepines, and have similar action, but their use and effect may vary. Please take your doctor's advice before taking any of these drugs
Q. Does flurazepam cause weight gain?
Flurazepam is not known to cause weight gain. Consult your doctor if you observe a weight gain after taking this medicine
Q. Does flurazepam help anxiety?
Flurazepam is used for short term treatment of sleeplessness; it exerts a calming effect on brain, and is known to reduce anxiety
Q. Does flurazepam get you high?
Flurazepam is used in the treatment of sleeplessness. Some people using this medication have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking flurazepam and talk to your doctor
Q. What does flurazepam look like?
Flurazepam is available in the form of capsules in strengths of 15 mg and 30 mg and the look may vary for different brands
Q. How long does flurazepam last/how long does flurazepam stay in your system/urine?
Flurazepam may last for 4 hours to 6 days in your system
Q. How long does flurazepam take to work?
You may start experiencing the benefit of flurazepam on second or third day of treatment. Effect of this medicine may last for a day or two after you start taking it. It may take up to 7-10 days for the sleep problem to resolve after starting the treatment.