Information about Febuxostat
Febuxostat is used in the treatment of gout.
How febuxostat works
Febuxostat is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor. It works by decreasing blood uric acid, which is the chemical that causes gout.
Common side effects of febuxostat
Increased liver enzymes, Diarrhea, Headache, Nausea, Skin rash
Available Medicine for Febuxostat
- ₹85 to ₹176Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹123 to ₹212Abbott4 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹176Ajanta Pharma Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹99 to ₹176Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹106 to ₹176Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹309 to ₹554Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹140Leeford Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹101 to ₹160Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹85 to ₹150Albert David Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹108 to ₹153Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Febuxostat
- Your doctor has prescribed Febuxostat to reduce episodes of gout attack.
- Take Febuxostat at the same time every day, with or without food.
- Take plenty of fluids (2-3 litres) daily while on Febuxostat.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Febuxostat as it may cause your gout to flare up.
- When you first start taking Febuxostat, you might have more gout attacks. Do not stop Febuxostat on having an acute attack of gout as that could make an attack worse.
- Notify your doctor if you develop a rash. This could be a sign of allergy and should go away on discontinuing Febuxostat.
Frequently asked questions for Febuxostat
Q. Does Febuxostat cause frequent urination?
No, Febuxostat is not known to cause frequent urination. However, if you experience any such symptom while using the drug, consult your doctor.
Q. How long does Febuxostat take to work?
After oral intake, the maximum effect of Febuxostat can be seen between 1 to 1.5 hours of consumption. However, it may take a few days to weeks to show its effect and you can experience gout attacks during this time. Continue to take your medicine during this time as with continuous use these attacks would decrease.
Q. Can I stop taking Febuxostat if I feel well?
No, keep using Febuxostat if prescribed by your doctor, even if you feel well. If you stop taking Febuxostat, your gout symptoms may return.