Information about Famciclovir
Famciclovir is used in the treatment of herpes labialis, genital herpes infection and herpes zoster.
How famciclovir works
Famciclovir is an antiviral medication. It prevents the multiplication of the virus in human cells. Thus stops the virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of famciclovir
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Rash, Increased liver enzymes, Itching
Available Medicine for Famciclovir
- ₹275 to ₹282FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹149 to ₹265Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹180Hetero Drugs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹195 to ₹214Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹459Signova Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹287Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹190KLM Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Famciclovir
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Drink plenty of water while on treatment with Famciclovir. This helps to prevent kidney stone and kidney damage.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems. A dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- You should not have sex if you have genital sores or blisters. If you're taking Famciclovir for herpes, you should use barrier methods (condoms) when you're having sex since you can still pass it on to other people, even if you're taking the medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Famciclovir
Q. Is famciclovir safe?
Famciclovir is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is famciclovir an antibiotic?
No, famciclovir is not an antibiotic; it belongs to antiviral group of medicines
Q. Is famciclovir a sulfa drug?
No, famciclovir is not a sulfa dru
Q. Is famciclovir the same as acyclovir/ Valtrex (valacyclovir)?
No, although famciclovir belongs to the same class of medicines as acyclovir or valacyclovir, it is not same. They are different medicinal agents with similar mechanism of action
Q. Is famciclovir better than acyclovir?
Both famciclovir and acyclovir have similar mechanism of action and have a comparable effectiveness and side effects
Q. Can I take famvir (famciclovir) with other medications such as antibiotics?
Always consult your doctor before taking any medications while on famciclovir therapy, due to potential chances of drug interactions
Q. Can I take famciclovir with ibuprofen (advil), paracetamol (Tylenol) or lysine?
There are no known interactions between famciclovir and ibuprofen, paracetamol or lysine. However, consult your doctor before using any other medication while on famciclovir therapy
Q. Can I take famciclovir with valacyclovir?
No, taking famciclovir with valacyclovir may cause an additive antiviral effect, which may lead to some adverse reactions. Always consult your doctor before taking any medications while on famciclovir therapy
Q. Does famciclovir affect birth control?
No, famciclovir has no known effects on birth control
Q. Does famciclovir cause weight gain, constipation or hair loss?
No, famciclovir has no known effects on weight gain, constipation or hair loss
Q. Does famciclovir contain penicillin?
No, famciclovir does not contain penicillin.