Etomidate is used for general anaesthesia.
How it works
Etomidate causes a reversible loss of consciousness allowing surgery to facilitate surgery without pain and distress.
Common side effects
Rapid breathing, Decreased blood pressure, Injection site pain, Tremor, Muscle twitching, Nausea, Vomiting
• Inform your doctor if you have any disorder of the adrenal glands or liver problems or heart conditions.
• You may be constantly monitored during entire anesthetic procedure to observe any signs of low blood pressure, changes in pulse rate, irregular heart beat and ventilation.
• Your ventilation will be carefully assessed to ensure adequate oxygenation and carbon dioxide removal.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Patients allergic to etomidate or any of its ingredients should not take it.
Frequently asked questions
Q.Does etomidate cause hypotension/ respiratory depression/ adrenal suppression?
Yes. Etomidate is known to cause hypotension, respiratory depression and adrenal suppression
Q.Is etomidate used for conscious sedation?
Yes. Etomidate is used for conscious sedation.