Information about Estramustine
Estramustine is used in the treatment of prostate cancer.
How Estramustine works
Estramustine belongs to a class of anticancer/cytotoxic drugs called antimicrotubule agents. It works by interfering with production of certain proteins which are necessary for tumor cell growth and reproduction. It also increases the estrogen levels, which in turn interferes with prostate cancer by slowing/stopping the growth of cancer cells..
Common side effects of Estramustine
Nausea, Vomiting, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Increased liver enzymes, Edema (swelling), Decreased white blood cell count, Diarrhea, Breast enlargement in male
Expert advice for Estramustine
- Estramustine should be taken on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
- Avoid taking antacids, calcium or magnesium, milk products and multivitamins, as these may interfere with the effect of the medicine.
- Your doctor may get regular blood tests done to monitor your calcium level, liver function, blood cell count in your blood.
- Use an effective method of birth control to avoid pregnancy while taking this medication.
- Do not stop taking medicine without talking to your doctor first.