Information about Esmolol
Esmolol is used in the treatment of chest pain (Angina), arrhythmias, heart attack and high blood pressure.
How esmolol works
Esmolol is a beta blocker that works specifically on the heart. It works by slowing down the heart rate and makes the heart more efficient at pumping blood around the body.
Common side effects of esmolol
Nausea, Headache, Fatigue, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Dizziness, Cold extremities
Available Medicine for Esmolol
- ₹230Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹234Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹224Health Biotech Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹243Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Esmolol
- Esmolol helps reduce blood pressure and lower heart rate.
- Do not miss doses. In case you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible up to 8 hrs before next dose. Don’t double the dose.
- Stopping Esmolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to rise suddenly, which increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- You may feel dizzy during the initial few days. You may also have fatigue and headaches. Notify your doctor if these symptoms persist for long.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic. If you take insulin or other anti-diabetic medications, you may have to check your blood sugar level more closely.
- Know how to check pulse daily and blood pressure (BP) twice a week, and teach your family as well.
- Notify your doctor if slow pulse, troubled breathing, wheezing, cold hands and feet, dizziness, light-headedness, confusion, depression.
Frequently asked questions for Esmolol
Q. Is Esmolol a vasodilator?
Esmolol belongs to the class of drugs called beta-blocker, and can dilate blood vessels
Q. Is Esmolol a vesicant?
Yes. Esmolol is a vesicant and can cause skin discoloration and necrosis if it leaks during infusion
Q. Is Esmolol a vasopressor?
Esmolol is a vasodilator
Q. How is Esmolol supplied?
Esmolol is supplied in the form of solution for injection or infusion
Q. What is Esmolol drip?
Esmolol drip is the Esmolol solution for injection or infusion
Q. Why is Esmolol short acting?
Esmolol is short acting as it undergoes quick breakdown (hydrolysis) and has an elimination half-life of about 9 mins.