Information about Enalapril
Enalapril is used in the treatment of hypertension, heart failure, heart attack and diabetic kidney disease.
How enalapril works
Enalapril relaxes the blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and also reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart works more efficiently.
Common side effects of enalapril
Decreased blood pressure, Cough, Increased potassium level in blood, Fatigue, Weakness, Dizziness, Renal impairment
Available Medicine for Enalapril
- ₹28 to ₹201Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹112Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹58USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹61Abbott India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹54Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹32Sunij Pharma Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹33Medley Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹63Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹35Caplet India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹4Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Enalapril
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant during the administration of this medicine.
- Notify the doctor if you have signs of recurrent infections (sore throat, chills, fever), these may be signs of neutropenia (unusually low number of cells called neutrophils, a type of white blood cells).
- Enalapril should be discontinued a day prior to any surgery.
- Notify your doctor if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing. This may occur in 1 out of 100 patients taking the Enalapril.
- Your doctor may recommend a change in the lifestyle to lower your blood pressure. It may include
- Consume fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and reduce saturated-total fat.
- Reduce daily dietary sodium intake as much as possible, ideally to 65 mmol/day (1.5 g/day sodium or 3.8 g/day sodium chloride).
- Regular aerobic physical activity (at least 30 minutes/day, most days of the week).
- A persistent dry cough is common with Enalapril. Notify the doctor if the cough becomes bothersome. Do not take any cough medicines.
- Enalapril may cause dizziness in the first few days of starting the treatment, especially after the first dose. To avoid this, take the Enalapril at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving if you feel dizzy after consuming Enalapril.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
Frequently asked questions for Enalapril
Q. Is enalapril a beta blocker/statin/alpha blocker?
Enalapril belongs to a class of medication called as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor
Q. Is enalapril same as ramipril?
Enalapril and ramipril belongs to same category of drugs with similar action, but their effect may vary upon individual response
Q. Is enalapril safe?
Enalapril is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. What are enalapril/Envas 5/ Envas 2.5?
Enalapril belongs to a class of medication called as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE)
Q. Is enalapril a generic drug?
Enalapril is a generic drug whereas Envas 5 and Envas 2.5 is a brand name
Q. Is enalapril a prodrug?
Yes, it forms an active metabolite called as enalapril at
Q. Can I take enalapril with ibubrufen/Tylenol/asprin/ Viagra/ magnesium/Cialis (tadalafil)/Cymbalta(duloxetin)?
Asprin increases antihypertensive effect of enalpril. Patients should follow doctors advice for its use
Q. Does enalapril cause weight gain/loss/cough/hair loose/ sleepiness/ blood sugar/ lowers heart rate?
Enalapril can cause weight loss/gain, cough, lower blood sugar. Patient should fallow doctor’s advice for possible side effects.