Information about Eltrombopag
Eltrombopag is used in the treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenia.
How eltrombopag works
Eltrombopag stimulates the formation of new platelets in the blood. Platelets help to reduce or prevent bleeding.
Common side effects of eltrombopag
Nausea, Running nose, Back pain, Rash, Mouth ulcer, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Oropharyngeal pain, Fever, Upper respiratory tract infection, Nasopharyngitis, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Hair loss, Dry eye, Cough, Toothache, Increased liver enzymes, Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding), Diarrhoea, Muscle cramp
Available Medicine for Eltrombopag
- ₹7100 to ₹14200Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Eltrombopag
- It is not advisable to administer eltrombopag to children and adolescents below 18 years.
- Tell your doctor before taking eltrombopag if you have liver disease, risk of forming blood clots in your veins or arteries (due to old age, overweight, recent surgery causing a long-standing bed-ridden state, cancer, treatment with oral contraceptive pills, smoking), or have a family history of forming abnormal blood clots.
- Exercise caution if you have myelodysplastic syndrome (condition wherein blood cells in the bone marrow do not mature or become healthy) as eltrombopag might worsen this condition.
- You may be regularly examined with blood tests to monitor the blood cell counts (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets), liver function, bone marrow function, heart, and gut bleeding when receiving treatment with eltrombopag.
- Do not drive or use machines after taking eltrombopag as it can impair co-ordination.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to eltrombopag or any of its ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Eltrombopag
Q. Is Eltrombopag available in India?
Yes, Eltrombopag is available in India
Q. Is Eltrombopag approved by US FDA and available in India?
Yes, Eltrombopag is approved by US FDA and it is available in India.