Elemental Iron is used in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia and anemia due to chronic kidney disease.
How it works
Iron preparations belong to a group of medicines called antianemics, and iron supplements. Iron is essential for formation of hemoglobin (substance that carries oxygen and gives blood its red color) and myoglobin (muscle protein that provides oxygen to functioning muscles), and for the oxidative processes of tissues (to transport oxygen to various tissues) in our body. It also supports functioning of several essential enzymes, neutrophils and plays important role in metabolism.
Common side effects
Nausea, Abdominal cramp, Constipation, Epigastric pain, Diarrhoea
- ₹2225Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹274Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹425 to ₹2226Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹95 to ₹195Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹107Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹249Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹261 to ₹428Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹250Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹263Venus Remedies Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹88 to ₹236Goddres Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- if you have allergy to iron supplements
- if you have anemia not produced by iron deficiency
- if you have bronze markings on your skin to show a buildup of too much iron in the body (hemochromatosis or hemosiderosis)
- if you have or had any serious disease affecting the intestines, including stomach ulcers, inflammatory conditions of your bowel,
- if you noticed blood in urine
- if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars
Frequently asked questions
Q. Can I take iron tablets for life long/ How long can I take iron tablets for?
Iron supplement is advised in patients with iron deficiency or iron deficient anemia till the haemoglobin level becomes normal. Please consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. Can I take iron pills for anemia and iron deficiency?
Yes, iron pills are recommended for iron deficient anemia. It is not recommended for other types of anemia. Always consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. What can I take for iron supplement?
You can consume food items that are rich in iron content (like red meat, pork, poultry, seafood or beans, dark green leafy vegetables (like spinach), dried fruit (raisins and apricots), iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas, peas). Iron supplements (tables or capsules) available at pharmacy store are to be used for iron deficient anemia. Always consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. What can I take for iron deficiency anemia?
You can take iron supplement (ferrous fumarate/ferrous sulfate/ferrous gluconate) tablets to treat iron deficient anemia. Always consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. Can I take iron with vitamin C/ Vitamin D/ multivitamin/ folic acid?
Yes, iron and vitamin C/ Vitamin D/ multivitamin/ folic acid can be taken together. Taking vitamin C and iron together helps the body absorb the iron Always consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. Can I take iron with zinc?
No, iron supplement may alter the absorption of zinc, if given together
Q. Can I take iron with Tylenol?
Yes, patient can take Tylenol (paracetamol) with iron. However, always consult your doctor regarding its proper use
Q. Do iron supplements increase weight?
Taking iron supplements may cause weight gain
Q. Does iron tablets/syrup cause constipation/ acne?
Yes, consumption of iron in any form may cause constipation or acne. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.