Information about Doxazosin
How doxazosin works
Doxazosin works by relaxing muscle around the bladder exit and prostate gland so urine is passed more easily. Doxazosin also lowers blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels.
Common side effects of doxazosin
Dizziness, Fainting, Sleepiness, Weakness, Nausea, Vomiting, Dry mouth, Blurred vision, Nasal congestion, Breathlessness, Constipation, Headache, Edema
Available Medicine for Doxazosin
- ₹31 to ₹100Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doxazosin
- You may experience syncope (temporary loss of consciousness caused by a fall in blood pressure) especially in the upright position, along with other postural symptoms such as dizziness after the first dose. Do not panic, you should sit or lie down until you feel better.
- Inform your doctor that you are on doxazosin therapy, if you are to undergo an eye surgery for cataract so as to avoid the complications during cataract surgery.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as doxazosin may make you drowsy or dizzy.
- Take screening test for the presence of prostate cancer prior to treatment and at regular intervals afterwards.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Doxazosin
Q. Is doxazosin a beta blocker or an alpha blocker?
Doxazosin belongs to class of medications called alpha-receptor blockers or alpha-blockers
Q. Is doxazosin or doxazosin mesylate safe?
Doxazosinare or doxazosin mesylate are safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is doxazosin a statin or a blood thinner (thin the blood)?
Doxazosin is neither a statin nor a blood thinner
Q. Is doxazosin a diuretic?
No, doxazosin is not a diuretic, it antagonizes the alpha receptors causing relaxation of the smooth muscle tone in the prostate and bladder neck, hence the urine is passed easily in patients with enlarged prostrate
Q. Is doxazosin a narcotic?
No, doxazosin is not a narcoti
Q. Does doxazosin lower heart rate?
No, doxazosin is not known to reduce heart rate. Increase in heart rate or irregular heart rate is a common adverse event reported for doxazosin
Q. Does doxazosin cause hair loss or weight gain?
Hair loss and weight gain are uncommon side effects of doxazosin therapy
Q. Does doxazosin cause erectile dysfunction?
No, doxazosin is not known to cause erectile dysfunctio
Q. Does doxazosin cause retrograde ejaculation?
Doxazosin may rarely cause retrograde ejaculation
Q. Does doxazosin cause coughing?
Yes, coughing is a common side effect of doxazosin
Q. Does doxazosin make you tired?
Yes, doxazosin may make you feel tired and sleepy
Q. Can I take doxazosin with Viagra (sildenafil) or Cialis (tadalafil)?
Please follow your doctor's advice before taking these medications with doxazosin. As combining Viagra (sildenafil) or Cialis (tadalafil) with doxazosin can lower your blood pressure and increase the risk of dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, flushing, headache, and nasal congestion
Q. Can I take saw palmetto with doxazosin?
There are no known interactions between saw palmetto and doxazosin.
Q. Q. Can I take Doxazosin with Tamsulosin?
No, Doxazosin should not be taken along with Tamsulosin. Both the medicines decrease blood pressure and taking them together can cause a severe fall in blood pressure.