Information about Doxazosin
Doxazosin is used in the treatment of Hypertension (high blood pressure) and benign prostatic hyperplasia.
How doxazosin works
Doxazosin is an alpha-blocker. It lowers blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels. It also relaxes the muscles around the bladder exit and prostate, which makes it easier to urinate.
Common side effects of doxazosin
Dizziness, Drowsiness, Headache, Low energy, Nausea, Palpitations, Weakness
Available Medicine for Doxazosin
- ₹31 to ₹100Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹33Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹87Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Doxazosin
- It may cause sudden drop in your blood pressure, especially when you first start taking this medicine. To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Doxazosin as it may enhance the blood pressure lowering effect of this medicine causing increased dizziness.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Inform your doctor that you are taking Doxazosin if you are scheduled for a cataract surgery.
Frequently asked questions for Doxazosin
Q. What is Doxazosin? What is it used for?
Doxazosin belongs to the group of medicines known as vasodilators. These substances cause the blood vessels to widen, which helps reduce the blood pressure. Doxazosin can also reduce tension in the muscle tissues of the prostate and the urinary tract. Therefore, it helps to normalize high blood pressure and symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
Q. What should I avoid while taking Doxazosin?
Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Doxazosin affects you. Do not drink alcohol as it may cause some undesirable side effects like dizziness. Tell your doctor about all the other medicines that you are taking as they may affect your dosage.
Q. What are the side effects of Doxazosin?
The most common side effects of Doxazosin are dizziness, headache, drowsiness, weakness and nausea. However, these are usually not bothersome and resolve on their own. If any of these side effects worry you or persist for a longer duration, please consult your doctor.
Q. How long do I need to take Doxazosin?
The duration for which you may need to take Doxazosin will be decided by your doctor depending on the condition you are being treated for. For instance, if you are being treated for high blood pressure then you may have to take it lifelong.
Q. How should Doxazosin be taken?
Always take this medicine exactly as advised by your doctor. Doxazosin should be taken by mouth before or after meal and drinks. Usually, it is advised to take the dose two or three times a day at evenly spaced intervals.