Information about Digoxin
How digoxin works
Digoxin is a cardiac glycoside. It works by correcting irregular heartbeat to a normal rhythm and increases the force with which the heart muscle contracts with every heartbeat. This makes the heart pump more efficiently and increases blood circulation throughout the body.
Common side effects of digoxin
Skin rash, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Dizziness, Irregular heart beat, Visual disturbance
Available Medicine for Digoxin
- ₹12 to ₹21Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹89Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹13Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14East West Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹11Chemo Biological1 variant(s)
- ₹11Canipla Care1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹22Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Digoxin
- Take Digoxin at the same time every day.
- Notify your doctor about other medicines you're taking to avoid drug interactions.
- Symptoms of overdose include slow heartbeat, dizziness, lightheadedness and breathing problems.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor even if you feel better. Stopping abruptly could worsen your condition.
Frequently asked questions for Digoxin
Q. Is digoxin and digitalis the same drug?
Digoxin and digitalis are the same drugs. Always consult your doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is digoxin a beta blocker/diuretic/potassium sparing/vasodilator/potassium wasting/blood thinner/ACE inhibitor/anticoagulant?
Digoxin is not beta blocker/diuretic/potassium sparing/vasodilator/potassium wasting/blood thinner/ACE inhibitor/anticoagulant. It belongs to a group of medicines called ‘cardiac glycosides'. Digoxin has side effect such as decreasing the potassium level, but it does not increase potassium excretion in the urine
Q. Is digoxin nephrotoxic?
Digoxin is not nephrotoxic, it has no known toxic effect on the kidney.
Q. Is digoxin still used?
Yes, digoxin is still used. It used to treat certain cardiac problems such as heart failure and arrhythmias.