Information about Diethylcarbamazine
Diethylcarbamazine is used in the treatment of parasitic worm infections and filariasis.
How diethylcarbamazine works
Diethylcarbamazine belongs to a class of medication called anti-helminthic. It can act against both the larval and adult forms of the parasitic worms that cause filariasis..
Common side effects of diethylcarbamazine
Headache, Dizziness, Vomiting, Abnormal liver function tests, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Hair loss, Fever, Vertigo.
Available Medicine for Diethylcarbamazine
- ₹10 to ₹41Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹40Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹55Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹36Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹17Empiai Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹14Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹53Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Dew Drops Lab1 variant(s)
- ₹54Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Diethylcarbamazine
Do not take diethylcarbamazine:
- If you have had a history of convulsions or epilepsy.
- If you have kidney or heart problems.
- If you are greater than 65 years of age.
- If you are breast-feeding or pregnant.
Frequently asked questions for Diethylcarbamazine
Q. What is diethylcarbamazine used for?
Diethylcarbamazine is used to treat parasitic worm infection and filariasis (elephantiasis), a disfiguring disease in which swelling of arms, legs or other body parts may occur. It is used to treat Bancroft's filariasis, eosinophilic lung, loiasis and river blindness (onchocerciasis).
Q. How does diethylcarbamazine work?
Diethylcarbamazine belongs to a class of medicines known as anti-helminthics. It works by killing both the larval and adult forms of the parasitic worms that cause filariasis.
Q. Is diethylcarbamazine an antibiotic?
Diethylcarbamazine is not an antibiotic. Diethylcarbamazine belongs to a class of medicines known as anthelminthic agents.
Q. Is diethylcarbamazine safe in pregnancy?
Diethylcarbamazine is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Human and animal studies are not available. Please talk to your doctor before using any medicine during pregnancy.
Q. How is diethylcarbamazine administered?
Diethylcarbamazine is administered orally in the form of tablet. The dose is different for different conditions. Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor.