Information about Diacerein
Diacerein is used in the treatment of osteoarthritis of knee and hip joints.
How diacerein works
Diacerein is a proteoglycan synthesis stimulator. It works by building cartilage (soft connective tissue around the joints) leading to joint repair. It also lowers pain and inflammation (swelling).
Common side effects of diacerein
Diarrhea, Discoloration of urine
Available Medicine for Diacerein
- ₹121Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹117Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76Anthus Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹129Ritz Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹56Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹116Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹83Canvarzys Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Diacerein
- Diacerein helps relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Exercise to strengthen muscles around the affected joint and manage your weight along with taking this medication.
- It may take several weeks to see treatment benefits. Keep taking the medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
- It may increase your blood sugar level. If you are diabetic, monitor your levels regularly.
- Do not take Diacerein if you are suffering from diarrhea or are above 60 years of age.
- Let your doctor know if your symptoms do not improve even after two to three months of taking the medication.
Frequently asked questions for Diacerein
Q. What is diacerein used for?
Diacerein is used for treating swelling and pain in the joints due to osteoarthritis
Q. How does diacerein work?
Diacerein belongs to a class of medication call anthraquinones. It acts by blocking chemicals which cause inflammation and destruction of cartilage in the body
Q. Is diacerein safe?
Diacerein is safe when taken for an indication and at a dose strictly instructed by your doctor
Q. Is diacerein a steroid or painkiller?
Diacerein is not a steroid or pain killer
Q. What is diacerein with a glucosamine tab?
Diacerein is sometimes sold in combination with glucosamine for treating symptoms of osteoarthritis.