Information about Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide
Dextromethorphan hydrobromide uses
Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is used in the treatment of dry cough.
How dextromethorphan hydrobromide works
Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is an antitussive (cough suppressants). It suppresses cough by reducing the activity of cough centre in the brain.
Common side effects of dextromethorphan hydrobromide
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Excitation, Confusion, Convulsion, Respiratory depression, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Rash
Available Medicine for Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide
- ₹69Meridian Enterprises Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹76Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹86West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹87Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- 1 variant(s)
- ₹55Medispan Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹93Johnson & Johnson Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹58Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide
- You have been prescribed Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide for the symptomatic relief of dry cough.
- It is usually taken for a short time, until the symptoms clear up.
- Allow the lozenge or disintegrating strip to dissolve in your mouth. Do not chew or swallow.
- Measure the syrup with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup, not a regular table spoon.
- Drink extra fluids to help loosen the congestion and lubricate your throat while you are taking this medication.
- It should not be administered to patients with chronic cough or where cough is accompanied by excessive secretions.
- Inform your doctor if your cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back, or occurs with fever, rash or headache. These could be signs of a serious condition.
Frequently asked questions for Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide
Q. Is dextromethorphan a steroid/an opiate/an antihistamine/ a narcotic/an NSAID/a controlled substance/contain alcohol/have codeine?
Dextromethorphan is a decongestant and not a steroid, antihistamine, opiate, NSAID or narcotic, but can have addictive effects if taken at large doses than recommended. It does not contain codeine or alcohol. It is not a controlled substance
Q. Does dextromethorphan work/ how much dextromethorphan can i take for cough?
Dextromethorphan works for most of the patient. It should be taken in amounts exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Cough medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended
Q. Is dextromethorphan safe/ does dextromethorphan makes you sleepy/make you tired/ raise blood sugar?
Dextromethorphan causes mild sedation effect thus can make you feel sleepy. It does not raise blood sugar or make you tired. Dextromethorphan is generally safe if taken at recommended doses and duration
Q. Can i take dextromethorphan with high blood pressure/ safe for high blood pressure/ raise blood pressure/ thin blood?
Though it isn't reported, but it should be used carefully in people with high blood pressure, as dextromethorphan may cause high blood pressure and the effectiveness of dextromethorphan is decreased by high blood pressure medications
Q. Can I take dextromethorphan with benzonatate/acetaminophen/codeine/ibuprofen/ diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine/guaifenesin/Tamiflu/Benadryl?
Drug interaction with any of the above mentioned drugs is not documented, but it can occur. Always follow your doctor's advice before taking any medicine with dextromethorphan.