Information about Dextromethorphan
Dextromethorphan is used for Anaesthesia and moderate to severe pain.
How dextromethorphan works
Dextromethorphan is an opioid analgesic ( pain reliever). It works by decreasing the perception of pain by blocking the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
Common side effects of dextromethorphan
Sedation, Sleepiness, Fatigue, Vomiting, Weakness, Dehydration, Dizziness, Lightheadedness, Headache, Sweating, Anemia, Nausea, Edema, Constipation, Dry mouth
Available Medicine for Dextromethorphan
- ₹60Medispan Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹71Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹86West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹28FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹78Johnson & Johnson Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹71Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹58Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Vanguard Therapeutics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dextromethorphan
- Use Dextromethorphan as instructed by your doctor. Never take in greater amounts or more often than prescribed.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Dextromethorphan, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Store opioid pain relievers in a safe place and out of reach of others.
Frequently asked questions for Dextromethorphan
Q. Is dextromethorphan a steroid/an opiate/an antihistamine/ a narcotic/an NSAID/a controlled substance/contain alcohol/have codeine?
Dextromethorphan is a decongestant and not a steroid, antihistamine, opiate, NSAID or narcotic, but can have addictive effects if taken at large doses than recommended. It does not contain codeine or alcohol. It is not a controlled substance
Q. Does dextromethorphan work/ how much dextromethorphan can i take for cough?
Dextromethorphan works for most of the patient. It should be taken in amounts exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Cough medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended
Q. Is dextromethorphan safe/ does dextromethorphan makes you sleepy/make you tired/ raise blood sugar?
Dextromethorphan causes mild sedation effect thus can make you feel sleepy. It does not raise blood sugar or make you tired. Dextromethorphan is generally safe if taken at recommended doses and duration
Q. Can i take dextromethorphan with high blood pressure/ safe for high blood pressure/ raise blood pressure/ thin blood?
Though it isn't reported, but it should be used carefully in people with high blood pressure, as dextromethorphan may cause high blood pressure and the effectiveness of dextromethorphan is decreased by high blood pressure medications
Q. Can I take dextromethorphan with benzonatate/acetaminophen/codeine/ibuprofen/ diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine/guaifenesin/Tamiflu/Benadryl?
Drug interaction with any of the above mentioned drugs is not documented, but it can occur. Always follow your doctor's advice before taking any medicine with dextromethorphan.