Information about Dextromethorphan
Dextromethorphan is used in the treatment of dry cough.
How dextromethorphan works
Dextromethorphan is an antitussive (cough suppressants). It suppresses cough by reducing the activity of cough centre in the brain.
Common side effects of dextromethorphan
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Excitation, Confusion, Convulsion, Respiratory depression, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Rash
Available Medicine for Dextromethorphan
- ₹60Medispan Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹71Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹76Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹62Meridian Enterprises Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹86West-Coast Pharmaceutical Works Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹28FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹85Johnson & Johnson Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹71Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹58Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dextromethorphan
- Use dextromethorphan exactly as directed on the label, and in doses prescribed by your doctor.
- Cough medicine is usually taken only for a short time until the symptoms clear up.
- If syrup, measure the liquid form of dextromethorphan with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup, not a regular table spoon.
- Allow the dextromethorphan lozenge or disintegrating strip to dissolve in your mouth.
- Drink extra fluids to help loosen the congestion and lubricate your throat while you are taking this medication.
- Do not drive or use machines while taking this medicine until you are sure you are not affected.
- Do not drink alcohol (wine, beer, spirits)whilst taking this medicine. Alcohol increases the risk of side effects occurring and may make you feel drowsier.
- Always ask a doctor before giving cough or cold medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough or cold medicine in very young children.
Frequently asked questions for Dextromethorphan
Q. Is dextromethorphan a steroid/an opiate/an antihistamine/ a narcotic/an NSAID/a controlled substance/contain alcohol/have codeine?
Dextromethorphan is a decongestant and not a steroid, antihistamine, opiate, NSAID or narcotic, but can have addictive effects if taken at large doses than recommended. It does not contain codeine or alcohol. It is not a controlled substance
Q. Does dextromethorphan work/ how much dextromethorphan can i take for cough?
Dextromethorphan works for most of the patient. It should be taken in amounts exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Cough medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up. Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended
Q. Is dextromethorphan safe/ does dextromethorphan makes you sleepy/make you tired/ raise blood sugar?
Dextromethorphan causes mild sedation effect thus can make you feel sleepy. It does not raise blood sugar or make you tired. Dextromethorphan is generally safe if taken at recommended doses and duration
Q. Can i take dextromethorphan with high blood pressure/ safe for high blood pressure/ raise blood pressure/ thin blood?
Though it isn't reported, but it should be used carefully in people with high blood pressure, as dextromethorphan may cause high blood pressure and the effectiveness of dextromethorphan is decreased by high blood pressure medications
Q. Can I take dextromethorphan with benzonatate/acetaminophen/codeine/ibuprofen/ diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine/guaifenesin/Tamiflu/Benadryl?
Drug interaction with any of the above mentioned drugs is not documented, but it can occur. Always follow your doctor's advice before taking any medicine with dextromethorphan.