Cyproheptadine is used in the treatment of appetite stimulant and allergic disorders.
How it works
Cyproheptadine blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, congestion, itching, and other allergic reactions.
Common side effects
Nausea, Nervousness, Drowsiness, Dizziness, Dry mouth, Dry throat, Dry nose, Difficulty in urination, Excitement, Headache, Muscle weakness, Nasal congestion, Chest congestion, Vision disorder
- ₹23 to ₹91Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹91Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹98Emcee Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹26Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹113Tablets India Limited1 variant(s)
- ₹95Taurus Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹14Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹60 to ₹85Libra Drugs India2 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹60Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹95Colinz Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Do not start or continue the cyproheptadine tablets:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to cyproheptadine or any of the other ingredients of cyproheptadine tablet.
- If you are taking other medicines such as antihistamines or monoamine-oxidase inhibitors.
Do not drive or operate machinery after taking cyproheptadine because your mental alertness may get disturbed. Avoid drinking alcohol as it can increase certain side effects of cyproheptadine. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is cyproheptadine used to gain weight/for headaches?
No, cyproheptadine is used for treatment of allergies. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is cyproheptadine a narcotic/antihistamine/anticholinergic/steroid?
Cyproheptadine is antihistaminic drug which may have anticholinergic effects. It is not a narcotic/steroid
Q. Is cyproheptadine over the counter?
No, it is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Is cyproheptadine safe?
It is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take cyproheptadine with Benadryl/Tylenol/ibuprofen?
Yes, but Benadryl contains some amount of antihistaminic drug which may alter the effects of cyproheptadine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does cyproheptadine get you high/make you gain weight/increase appetite/make you hungry?
Cyproheptadine causing these side effects is rare or uncommon. However, always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Does cyproheptadine affect birth control?
No, it does not affect birth control. Patient should follow the advice of doctor before its use
Q. Does cyproheptadine have codeine/acetaminophen in it?
No, it does not contain codeine/acetaminophen in it.