Crotamiton is used in the treatment of scabies
How it works
Crotamiton belongs to two classes of medicines called antipruritics and scabicides. It works by killing the mites, which cause scabies.
Common side effects
Erythematous rash, Itching, Dry skin, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation)
Available MedicineNo medicine available
- Crotamiton is for external application only.
- If your child is less than 3 years of age, apply the cream or lotion under doctor’s supervision.
- Do not apply crotamiton in or around the mouth or eyes as it may lead to inflammation. If applied accidently, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Do not apply on exudative wounds, acute eczema, or if the skin is broken, severely inflamed or with pus.
- Stop applying crotamiton if you develop any allergic reaction.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding and or having genital itching.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is crotamiton over the counter?
No. Crotamiton is available with prescription of registered medical practitioner only
Q. Is crotamiton a steroid/an antihistamine?
Crotamiton is neither a steroid nor an antihistamine
Q. Is crotamiton safe?
Crotamiton is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. What is crotamiton/ crotamiton cream/ crotamiton lotion used for?
Crotamiton is used to treat scabies and to relieve itching and skin irritation associated with sunburn, dry eczema (type of itchy skin rash), dermatitis (red and itchy skin), allergic rashes, hives, nettle rash, chickenpox, heat rashes, personal itching, insect bites and stings.