Information about Clomipramine
Clomipramine is used in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is used in patients intolerant of or unresponsive to alternative treatment options for depression.
How clomipramine works
Clomipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant. It increases the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that help in regulating the mood and treat depression.
Common side effects of clomipramine
Altered libido, Constipation, Dryness in mouth, Ejaculation disorder, Indigestion, Sleepiness, Difficulty in urination
Available Medicine for Clomipramine
- ₹27 to ₹187Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹158Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹88Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹145La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹96Triko Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹94Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹108Gentech Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹85Aurum Life Science Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹33Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹146Sigmund Promedica3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clomipramine
- It may take 4 to 6 weeks for Clomipramine to start working. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- It may cause sleepiness. Take it at bedtime and do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Clomipramine as it may cause excessive sleepiness.
- Monitor your weight during the treatment as this medicine can cause weight gain and increased appetite.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
Frequently asked questions for Clomipramine
Q. Can Clomipramine cause impotence?
Yes, Clomipramine can cause impotence. Both men and women may experience decreased sexual desire and inability to have an organsm. In males, difficulty in maintaining erection (impotence) or painful ejaculation may be observed. You should consult your doctor immediately if you face any such problems while taking Clomipramine.
Q. Is Clomipramine safe?
Yes, Clomipramine is safe to use if taken in the dose and duration prescribed by the doctor. Clomipramine is a medicine that treats Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), stabilises mood and behavior. It restores the chemical imbalance in the brain and creates a feeling of well being.
Q. What are the side effects of Clomipramine?
Clomipramine may cause side effects like difficulty or inability to pass urine, altered libido, constipation, dryness in mouth, ejaculation disorder, indigestion and sleepiness. Please consult your doctor if these side effects worry you. The doctor may suggest ways to treat or prevent them.
Q. What happens if I take an overdose of Clomipramine?
If you have taken an overdose of Clomipramine, you may experience symptoms such as drowsiness, restlessness, agitation and delirium (disturbed state of mind with restlessness and mental confusion). You may also experience severe sweating, fast heartbeat, feeling of faint, seizures (fits), and you may even go into a state of coma. Immediately consult your doctor and seek medical help if you think you have taken too much of this medicine.
Q. If I am feeling better, can I stop taking Clomipramine?
No, do not stop taking Clomipramine suddenly even if you are feeling better as it may worsen your condition and also cause withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, weakness, sleep problems, fever, and irritability. Continue taking Clomipramine for the duration as prescribed by your doctor to get maximum benefit. If any of the side effects are bothering you, consult your doctor. In case you have completed your course of treatment, your doctor will reduce your dose gradually before taking you off this medicine completely.