Information about Clomipramine
Clomipramine is used in the treatment of depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is used in patients intolerant of or unresponsive to alternative treatment options for depression.
How clomipramine works
Clomipramine increases the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that help in regulating the mood and treat depression.
Common side effects of clomipramine
Sleepiness, Blurred vision, Dryness in mouth, Difficulty in urination, Constipation, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Weight gain, Increased heart rate
Available Medicine for Clomipramine
- ₹25 to ₹187Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹146Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹85Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹145La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹96Triko Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹108Gentech Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹75Zenith Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹146Sigmund Promedica3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹110Psychotropics India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹92A N Pharmacia4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Clomipramine
- The main dose should be taken at night as this drug may produce drowsiness or sleepiness.
- It can take 4 to 6 weeks for Clomipramine to start working.
- You should continue the treatment for at least 6 months after you feel better to stop depression from coming back.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Clomipramine, you should reduce the dose slowly over 4 weeks. You should not discontinue it abruptly.
- Avoid driving or operating machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Clomipramine, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- The addiction/dependence potential of Clomipramine is very less.
- It may be extremely dangerous in overdose.
Frequently asked questions for Clomipramine
Q. Is Clomipramine safe?
Clomipramine is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Clomipramine a MAOI/anticholinergic/benzodiazepine/SSRI/narcotic?
Clomipramine is tricyclic antidepressant. It treats depression through inhibiting the neuronal re-uptake of chemical substances present in the brain called noradrenaline and mainly serotonin (SSRI). It is not MAOI/anticholinergic/benzodiazepine/narcotic
Q. Is Clomipramine a controlled substance?
No, it is not a controlled substance
Q. Is Clomipramine addictive?
Clomipramine is not addictive if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Can I take paracetamol/diazepam/5htp with clomipramine?
Taking other medicines may alter the effects of clomipramine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does Clomipramine cause weight loss/weight gain/make you sleepy/cause constipation/affect fertility?
Clomipramine may cause these side effects; effect on fertility is very rare side effect. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects
Q. Does Clomipramine help premature ejaculation?
Clomipramine effectively increases ejaculatory latency in men with primary premature ejaculation, while treatment is not effective in those with premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction
Q. Does Clomipramine work for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Yes, Clomipramine is used for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.