Information about Cilnidipine
Cilnidipine is used in the treatment of Hypertension (high blood pressure) and subarachnoid haemorrhage.
How cilnidipine works
Cilnidipine is a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing blood vessels which makes the heart more efficient at pumping blood throughout the body.
Common side effects of cilnidipine
Fatigue, Ankle swelling, Sleepiness, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Headache, Nausea, Dizziness, Palpitations, Edema (swelling), Abdominal pain
Available Medicine for Cilnidipine
- ₹54 to ₹141J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹126Eris Lifesciences Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹130Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹188Ajanta Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹190Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹106Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹131Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹118Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹115Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹126Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cilnidipine
- Take it at the same time every day to help you remember to take it.
- A sudden drop in your blood pressure may occur, especially when you first start taking Cilnidipine. To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- It can cause ankle or foot swelling. Raise your legs while you are sitting down. Talk to your doctor if it does not go away.
- It may cause dizziness. Do not drive or perform activity require mental focus until you know how Cilnidipine affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Cilnidipine
Q. What is the use of Cilnidipine?
Cilnidipine is a medicine used to treat high blood pressure. It belongs to a group of medicines which block the calcium channels in the blood vessel. It works by relaxing the blood vessels in patients with high blood pressure. This widens the diameter of the blood vessels which helps the blood to pass through them more easily.
Q. Which is better amlodipine or Cilnidipine?
Both these medicines are used in the treatment of blood pressure and are equally good in effectively reducing the blood pressure. Cilnidipine has also been found to be beneficial in patients with kidney problems as compared to amlodipine. Additionally, while Amlodipine may have chances of causing mild ankle swelling, Cilnidipine has been found to have lesser chances of causing ankle swelling. Your doctor will suggest either of these after seeing what suits you.
Q. What are the side effects of Cilnidipine?
Cilnidipine is generally well tolerated but sometimes can also be associated with side effects like headache, dizziness, flushing, palpitations, low blood pressure, and stomach problems. It may also cause increased urination, ankle swelling, and lethargy. These side effects are not common in everyone but may occur in some individuals. Do consult your doctor if you notice any side effects after taking this medicine.
Q. What happens if we take more than the recommended dose of Cilnidipine?
Taking more than the recommended dose of Cilnidipine can lead to an abnormal decrease in blood pressure levels. This can make you feel dizzy, lightheaded or faint. In severe cases of overdose, the skin can feel cool and clammy. In case you have taken a higher dose Cilnidipine, consult your doctor immediately. Do not go out or perform any work which might make you sick or faint.
Q. Is Cilnidipine good for patients of high blood pressure with kidney impairment?
Yes, Cilnidipine has been shown to have protective effects on the kidney cells, thereby preventing them from damage. It has also been shown to decrease protein leakage from the kidney in patients who have diabetes as well as high blood pressure.