Information about Cetirizine
Cetirizine is used in the treatment of Allergic disorders.
How cetirizine works
Cetirizine blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, congestion, itching, and other allergic reactions.
Common side effects of cetirizine
Available Medicine for Cetirizine
- ₹16 to ₹35Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹41Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹19S H Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹35Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹51Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹16Sanofi India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹35Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹36Unichem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹42Indoco Remedies Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Cetirizine
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking cetirizine because you may feel sleepy.
- Avoid alcohol intake while taking this drug.
- Consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects: changes in vision, severe dry mouth, trouble urinating, constipation or drowsiness.
- Do not start or continue the cetirizine tablets:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to cetirizine or any of the other ingredients of cetirizine tablet.
- If you have severe kidney problem or severe liver problem.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered before taking cetirizine tablets in case of any following disease conditions such as fits, severe kidney impairment, intolerance to sugars.
Frequently asked questions for Cetirizine
Q. Is cetirizine/ Alerid/ Alerid syrup an antihistamine/antibiotic/steroid?
Cetirizine is an antihistaminic drug. It is not an antibiotic or steroid
Q. Is cetirizine/ Alerid D banned?
It is available in India and should be taken as advised by doctor
Q. Can you take cetirizine for prickly heat?
Cetirizine can be used for prickly heat to reduce the itching. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take cetirizine with high blood pressure?
Patients with high blood pressure can take cetirizine. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take cetirizine with antibiotics/ azithromycin/ citalopram/ sertraline?
Yes, as there are no expected reactions with cetirizine. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does cetirizine make you gain weight?
It is rarely seen, but there is a possibility that cetirizine, like other anti-histamines might cause gain in weight
Q. Is cetirizine/ Alerid safe?
Cetirizine/ Alerid is safe at the prescribed dose by the doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is cetirizine good for cold/ used for sore throat/ allergic reaction/itching/hives?
Cetirizine is used to treat cold or allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, watery eyes, or runny nose. It is also used to treat hives, but not used for sore throat. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. How long can I take cetirizine for?
Patient should take cetirizine as directed by doctor
Q. Can I take cetirizine with paracetamol/ aspirin/ ibuprofen/ DayQuil/ prednisone/ Benadryl?
Cetirizine can be taken along with paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, or prednisone. However, taking Benadryl and Dayquil along with cetirizine can increase the drowsiness. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Can I take cetirizine with loratadine/ diphenhydramine/ brompheniramine/ fexofenadine?
No. Patient should not take cetirizine with these drugs as they are from same category of antihistamines. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Does cetirizine make you sleepy or cause drowsiness?
Patient may feel sleepy after taking cetirizine. Always consult your doctor
Q. Does cetirizine contain diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine/aspirin/acetaminophen (paracetamol)?
No. Cetirizine does not contain diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine/aspirin. However doctor may prescribe cetirizine in combination with these drugs.
Q. Can I take Cetirizine with Betahistine?
Cetirizine should not be taken with Betahistine as it has antihistamine action and Betahistine has histamine like action and using the two medicines together may lower the efficacy of either of them.