Information about Calcitonin Salmon
Calcitonin salmon uses
Calcitonin Salmon is used in the treatment of post menopausal osteoporosis and high calcium levels in the blood.
How calcitonin salmon works
Calcitonin Salmon is a calcitonin receptor agonist. It acts by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause destruction of bone, thereby strengthening the bones and minimizing the risk of fractures.
Common side effects of calcitonin salmon
Nausea, Vomiting, Injection site inflammation
Available Medicine for Calcitonin Salmon
- ₹184United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Calcitonin Salmon
- Do not take calcitonin if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to calcitonin or to any of the other ingredients of this medicines.
- Avoid using calcitonin in condition such as low levels of calcium in blood (hypocalcemia).
- Calcitonin is not recommended in children under 18 years of age.
- Do not drive or use any tools or machines, if you feel dizzy, tired, have a headache or get disturbed vision after taking calcitonin.
- Long term treatment with calcitonin for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis have shown an increase in the risk of cancer in clinical trials.
- Calcitonin is recommended to be taken at bedtime to reduce the side effects like urge to vomit (nausea) and vomiting that are generally experienced at the beginning of the treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Calcitonin Salmon
Q. Is Calcitonin Salmon a steroid hormone/ peptide hormone/ bisphosphonate/ thyroid hormone?
Calcitonin Salmon is not a steroid hormone/ peptide hormone/ bisphosphonate. However, Calcitonin Salmon occurs naturally in the body. It is also available as a man-made polypeptide hormone
Q. Is calcitonin lipid soluble/ hydrophilic/ water soluble?
Calcitonin is a hydrophilic, water soluble hormone
Q. Is Calcitonin Salmon effective for osteoporosis?
Calcitonin Salmon is a naturally occurring thyroid hormone which is used to prevent and to treat thinning and weakening of the bone (osteoporosis) in post-menopausal women
Q. Does Calcitonin Salmon stimulate osteoclasts?
Osteoclast is a type of bone cell which carry out dissolution and absorption of bone. Calcitonin Salmon is a naturally occurring hormone secreted by thyroid gland in the body, which stops the activity of osteoclasts, thereby stops bone removal by the osteoclasts
Q. Does Calcitonin Salmon stimulate/ inhibit osteoblast activity/ stimulate bone growth?
Osteoblast is a type of bone cell which carry out bone formation. Whether Calcitonin Salmon stimulates or promotes the bone formation or resorption by the osteoblasts is uncertain
Q. Does Calcitonin Salmon cause cancer?
Long term treatment with Calcitonin Salmon for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis has shown an increase in the risk of cancer in clinical trials
Q. Does calcitonin increases calcium levels?
Calcitonin does not increase calcium levels. It is a naturally occurring hormone secreted by the thyroid gland in the body, which is used to reduce high calcium levels in the blood (hypercalcemia) due to cancer
Q. Does Calcitonin Salmon decreases phosphate?
Yes, Calcitonin Salmon decreases phosphate resorption by direct action on the kidney.