Information about Calcipotriol
Calcipotriol is used in the treatment of psoriasis.
How calcipotriol works
Calcipotriol is a synthetic form of vitamin D belonging to the class of medicines called ‘anti-psoriatics’. It lowers the rate with which skin cells grow, thereby controlling the psoriatic condition.
Common side effects of calcipotriol
Dry skin, Skin irritation, Itching, Burning sensation, Stinging sensation, Redness of skin, Rash
Available Medicine for Calcipotriol
- ₹273Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹316Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹422Menarini India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹215Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹300La Pristine Bioceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹850Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Calcipotriol
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. In case you have been advised to use this drug while breast feeding, do not apply it on breast area.
- Before using calcipotriol, inform your doctor if you are taking ultraviolet (UV) light treatment.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight should be avoided while on this treatment.
- If you have been diagnosed with psoriasis types like ‘generalised pustular psoriasis’ or ‘erythrodermic exfoliative psoriasis’, consult your doctor before using calcipotriol.
- Application of calcipotriol on face is not recommended.
Frequently asked questions for Calcipotriol
Q. Is Calcipotriol a steroid?
No. Calcipotriol is not a steroid
Q. Is Calcipotriol' over the counter' drug?
No. Calciportiol is not an ‘over the counter' drug. It is available only by prescription
Q. What is Calcipotriol used/indicated for?
Calcipotriol is used in treatment of psoriasis (development of red/silver colored scaly patches on skin)
Q. How effective is Calcipotriol?
Calcipotriol is considered to be effective when used at the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor
Q. How long does Calcipotriol take to work?
For best results Calcipotriol is used once/twice daily (as instructed by your doctor). Usually changes in the skin can be seen after around two weeks as the psoriatic patches clear up/flatten. Redness of the skin will also start to reduce then
Q. What is Calcipotriol ointment/solution?
Calcipotriol is a drug used in treatment of psoriasis. It is available in different forms like cream, ointment, gel or solution for application to the affected areas of skin or scalp.