Benazepril is used in the treatment of increased blood pressure , heart failure, heart attack and diabetic kidney disease
How it works
Benazepril relaxes the blood vessels which lowers the blood pressure and also reduces the workload of the heart. As a result, the heart works more efficiently.
Common side effects
Breathlessness, Fatigue, Weakness, Headache, Altered taste, Allergic reaction, Dizziness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Fainting, Chest pain, Angina pectoris, Nausea, Increased heart rate, Abdominal pain, Blurred vision, Diarrhoea, Depression, Irregular heart rate, Cough
- ₹85 to ₹143Novartis India Ltd2 variant(s)
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or planning to become pregnant during the administration of this medicine.
- Notify the doctor if you have signs of recurrent infections (sore throat, chills, fever), these may be signs of neutropenia (unusually low number of cells called neutrophils, a type of white blood cells).
- Benazepril should be discontinued a day prior to any surgery.
- Notify your doctor if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing. This may occur in 1 out of 100 patients taking the Benazepril.
- Your doctor may recommend a change in the lifestyle to lower your blood pressure. It may include
- Consume fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and reduce saturated-total fat.
- Reduce daily dietary sodium intake as much as possible, ideally to 65 mmol/day (1.5 g/day sodium or 3.8 g/day sodium chloride).
- Regular aerobic physical activity (at least 30 minutes/day, most days of the week).
- A persistent dry cough is common with Benazepril. Notify the doctor if the cough becomes bothersome. Do not take any cough medicines.
- Benazepril may cause dizziness in the first few days of starting the treatment, especially after the first dose. To avoid this, take the Benazepril at bedtime, drink plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- Avoid driving if you feel dizzy after consuming Benazepril.
- Avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.