Information about Azathioprine
How azathioprine works
Azathioprine suppresses the activity of body's immune system and prevents rejection of the transplanted organ. It also blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling, and redness associated with certain joint diseases.
Common side effects of azathioprine
Nausea, Fungal infection, Bacterial infection, Viral infection, Decreased white blood cell count, Reduced blood platelets
Available Medicine for Azathioprine
- ₹96 to ₹172RPG Life Sciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹87Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹106Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹96Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90Canixa Life Sciences Pvt1 variant(s)
- ₹85Rowan Bioceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹58Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Azathioprine
- Azathioprine can cause birth defects so avoid pregnancy while using it or consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- While taking Azathioprine, your body is more prone to infections; so be sure to wash your hands often and keep distance from with people who are sick.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun and wear a sunscreen, sunglasses and appropriate clothing wile going out in the sun.
- Do not start or continue azathioprine and consult your doctor:if you are allergic to azathioprine.
Frequently asked questions for Azathioprine
Q. Is Azathioprine safe to use?
Azathioprine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. What is Azathioprine?
No. Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant, used in organ transplantation and rheumatoid arthritis.
Q. Does Azathioprine work in colitis?
Yes, Azathioprine is recommended in the treatment of certain type of colitis such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Talk to your doctor for any treatment to be given in these conditions.