Information about Azathioprine
How azathioprine works
Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant. It reduces the action of body's own defense system (the immune system) and prevents rejection of the transplanted organ. It also blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling, and redness associated with certain joint diseases.
Common side effects of azathioprine
Nausea, Fungal infection, Bacterial infection, Viral infection, Decreased white blood cell count, Low blood platelets
Available Medicine for Azathioprine
- ₹96 to ₹165RPG Life Sciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹88Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹97Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹106Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹96Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90Canixa Life Sciences Pvt1 variant(s)
- ₹85Rowan Bioceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Azathioprine
- Your doctor has prescribed Azathioprine to stop the body from rejecting a transplanted organ (e.g. kidney, heart or liver).
- Azathioprine also relieves joint pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis.
- You may have to take additional medications along with Azathioprine for better relief of symptoms.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Avoid contact with people who have cold, flu or other contagious illness. Notify your doctor if you have any signs of infection such as a fever or sore throat.
Frequently asked questions for Azathioprine
Q. Is Azathioprine safe to use?
Azathioprine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. What is Azathioprine?
No. Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant, used in organ transplantation and rheumatoid arthritis.
Q. Does Azathioprine work in colitis?
Yes, Azathioprine is recommended in the treatment of certain type of colitis such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Talk to your doctor for any treatment to be given in these conditions.