Information about Azathioprine
How azathioprine works
Azathioprine suppresses the activity of body's immune system and prevents rejection of the transplanted organ. It also blocks the action of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation, swelling, and redness associated with certain joint diseases.
Common side effects of azathioprine
Nausea, Fungal infection, Bacterial infection, Viral infection, Decreased white blood cell count, Reduced blood platelets.
Available Medicine for Azathioprine
- ₹96 to ₹172RPG Life Sciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹87Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹106Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹94Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90Canixa Life Sciences Pvt1 variant(s)
- ₹85Rowan Bioceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹95Ipca Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Azathioprine
- Azathioprine can cause birth defects so avoid pregnancy while using it or consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- While taking Azathioprine, your body is more prone to infections; so be sure to wash your hands often and keep distance from with people who are sick.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun and wear a sunscreen, sunglasses and appropriate clothing wile going out in the sun.
- Do not start or continue azathioprine and consult your doctor:if you are allergic to azathioprine.
Frequently asked questions for Azathioprine
Q. Is azathioprine / Imuran safe?
Azathioprine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is azathioprine a biologic or chemotherapy or steroid or corticosteroid or blood thinner or enema?
No. Azathioprine is an immunosuppressant, which suppresses your immune or defence system
Q. Can I take azathioprine with Pentasa or antibiotics or vitamins?
No. All of these drugs interact with azathioprine. Avoid the concomitant use of this drug along with azathioprine. Please consult your doctor before taking all these drugs with Azathioprine
Q. Can I take azathioprine with ibuprofen or paracetamol (Tylenol) or vitamins or Benadryl or doxycycline or prednisone or Aleve or melatonin?
No results found for any interaction of these medicines with azathioprine, but please consult with your doctor before taking this medication
Q. Does azathioprine cause cancer?
Yes, azathioprine administration may increase your risk of developing certain types of cancer (especially skin cancer and lymphoma). This increased risk is dependent on other factors also including dose, duration and indication of use
Q. Does azathioprine make you tired?
It can make sleepy or dizzy
Q. Does azathioprine cause macrocytosis?
Yes. Red blood cell macrocytosis is a well-known complication of azathioprine therapy
Q. Does azathioprine work in colitis?
Yes, azathioprine is recommended in the treatment of certain type of colitis such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
Q. Does azathioprine cause weight gain?
No studies found
Q. Does azathioprine cause acne?
Q. Does azathioprine cause high blood pressure?
In some patients azathioprine may cause low blood pressure. Contact your doctor immediately if you develop such symptom
Q. Does azathioprine affect fertility?
This medication can affect fertility (your ability to have children), whether you are a man or a woman. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this
Q. Does azathioprine cause constipation or depression or bruising or dry skin or headaches?
No studies found. However, consult your doctor immediately if you develop such symptom
Q. Does azathioprine cause diarrhea or hair loss or anemia?
Yes. All these are the side effect of azathioprine.
Q. Can I take Azathioprine with febuxostat?
Azathioprine should not be taken with Febuxostat . Taking both the medicines together will increase the levels of Azathioprine and can cause toxicity.