Astemizole is used in the treatment of allergic disorders.
How it works
Astemizole belongs to a group of medicine called as antihistamines. It acts by preventing the action of a chemical called as histamine in the body, which is involved in causing allergic reactions.
Common side effects
Nausea, Nervousness, Drowsiness, Hormone imbalance, Allergic reaction, Slow growth in children and teenagers, Convulsion, Diarrhoea, Dry mouth, Dry skin, Fainting, Headache, Altered heart rate, Gastrointestinal discomfort
- Inform your doctor if you have asthma (difficulty in breathing) or any other lung disease, decreased potassium level in blood, known heart diseases, urinary retention or an enlarged prostate, kidney and liver disorder and heart disease.
- Inform your doctor if you are simultaneously receiving medicines for viral (including HIV), bacterial or fungal infection, malaria, depression, or sleeplessness.
- Do not drive or operate machinery while on this drug as it may cause dizziness.
- Do not consume alcohol when receiving astemizole as it may worsen the side effects.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to astemizole or any of its ingredients.
- Do not consume this drug if you have heart rhythm disorders.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q.What is astemizole used for?
Astemizole is used for the treatment allergic conditions causing runny nose, redness and watering of eyes, skin rashes, and allergic reactions to drugs and food.