Ampicillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections
How it works
Ampicillin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects
- ₹14 to ₹55Alkem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹30Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹20Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹66Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹87Hetero Drugs Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹54Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹44Ortin Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹17Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹38Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
- Do not take ampicillin with food or milk.
- Do not start or continue the ampicillin suspension/capsule and consult your doctor if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to ampicillin, penicillin, cephalosporin, any other antibiotic of this class or any other ingredient of suspension/capsule.
- Do not start or continue the ampicillin suspension/capsule and consult your doctor if you suffer from liver problems ar diabetes.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is ampicillin and amoxicillin the same?
Ampicillin and amoxicillin belongs to the same group of penicillin antibiotics, but differ slightly in their uses
Q. Is ampicillin light-sensitive?
Yes, ampicillin is light sensitive it should be kept away from sunlight
Q. Does ampicillin cover anaerobes, listeria?
Ampicillin is used for infections caused by anaerobes and listeria. It is not typically used to treat chlamydia
Q. Is ampicillin/Megapen a prodrug?
No, ampicillin is not a prodrug
Q. Is ampicillin a cephalosporin?
Ampicillin is not a cephalosporin
Q. Can I take ampicillin for strep throat, tooth infection, sore throat, chlamydial and bacterial vaginitis?
Ampicillin can be used to treat strep throat, tooth infection, sore throat, bacterial vaginitis
Q. Can I take ampicillin with Advil (ibuprofen), Tylenol (paracetamol) and Benadryl?
Ampicillin can be taken with paracetamol and Benadryl. Ampicillin when taken with ibuprofen may increase the effects of either drug.