Information about Ampicillin
Ampicillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How ampicillin works
Ampicillin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming their own protective covering which is required for their survival in the human body.
Common side effects of ampicillin
Available Medicine for Ampicillin
- ₹14 to ₹55Alkem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹30Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹10 to ₹20Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹66Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹55Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹87Hetero Drugs Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹44Ortin Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹17Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹22Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹38Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ampicillin
- Make sure you complete the course even if you start to feel better.
- It is better to take with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Discontinue Ampicillin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Ampicillin
Q. Is ampicillin and amoxicillin the same?
Ampicillin and amoxicillin belongs to the same group of penicillin antibiotics, but differ slightly in their uses
Q. Is Ampicillin light-sensitive?
Yes, Ampicillin is light sensitive it should be kept away from sunlight
Q. Does Ampicillin cover anaerobes, listeria?
Ampicillin is used for infections caused by anaerobes and listeria. It is not typically used to treat chlamydia
Q. Is Ampicillin/Megapen a prodrug?
No, Ampicillin is not a prodrug
Q. Is Ampicillin a cephalosporin?
Ampicillin is not a cephalosporin
Q. Can I take Ampicillin for strep throat, tooth infection, sore throat, chlamydial and bacterial vaginitis?
Ampicillin can be used to treat strep throat, tooth infection, sore throat, bacterial vaginitis
Q. Can I take Ampicillin with Advil (ibuprofen), Tylenol (paracetamol) and Benadryl?
Ampicillin can be taken with paracetamol and Benadryl. Ampicillin when taken with ibuprofen may increase the effects of either drug.