Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
Information about Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
Amoxycillin + clavulanic acid uses
Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is indicated for short-term treatment of bacterial infections of respiratory tract, genito-urinary tract, skin, bone, and tooth among others.
How amoxycillin + clavulanic acid works
This is a combination of two medicines: Amoxycillin and Clavulanic Acid. Amoxycillin is an antibiotic. It works by preventing the formation of the bacterial protective covering which is essential for the survival of bacteria. Clavulanic Acid is a beta-lactamase inhibitor which reduces resistance and enhances the activity of Amoxycillin against bacteria.
Common side effects of amoxycillin + clavulanic acid
Vomiting, Nausea, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
- ₹59 to ₹498Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹484Alkem Laboratories Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹159Mankind Pharma Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹360Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd18 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹198Cipla Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹185Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd13 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹362Zuventus Healthcare Ltd12 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹360Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹270Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹149Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd10 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
- You have been prescribed this combination medicine to treat bacterial infections even if they have developed resistance.
- Finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect. Taking probiotics along with Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid may help. Talk to your doctor if you notice bloody stools or develop abdominal cramps.
- Take it with food and plenty of fluids to avoid an upset stomach.
- Stop taking Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid and inform your doctor immediately if you develop an itchy rash, swelling of the face, throat or tongue or breathing difficulties while taking it.
- Do not use leftover medicine for treating any infection in the future. Always consult your doctor before taking any antibiotic.
Frequently asked questions for Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid
Q. What is Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid?
Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid is a combination of two medicines: Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid. This is used for the treatment of bacterial infection by killing the harmful bacteria that cause infection. It is used for the treatment of bacterial infections, for eg. tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media, respiratory tract infections, urinary tract infections, boils, abscesses, cellulitis, wound infection, bone infection, and oral cavity infections.
Q. Is it safe to use Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid?
Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid is safe to use when taken as advised by the doctor. However, in some patients it may cause common side effects like diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, rash, allergic reaction and other uncommon or rare side effects. If you experience any persistent problem while taking this medicine, inform your doctor as soon as possible.
Q. Can I stop taking Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid before completing the full course of the treatment, even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured. So, it is important to take this medicine for the duration advised by the doctor.
Q. Can the use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic and it kills the harmful bacteria, however, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. In case you experience diarrhea, drink plenty of water or other fluids. Talk to your doctor if diarrhea persists and you notice any signs of dehydration, like less frequency of urination with dark colored and strong-smelling urine. Do not take any other medicine without consulting a doctor.
Q. Can Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid cause allergic reaction?
Yes, Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid can cause an allergic reaction and is considered to be harmful for patients with known allergy to penicillins. Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of allergic reaction: hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat.
Q. Are there any specific cautions associated with the use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid?
The use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid is considered to be harmful for patients with known allergy to penicillins or any other excipient. It should not be used in patients with the history of liver disease.
Q. Can the use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid cause contraceptive failure?
Yes, the use of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid can lower the efficacy of birth control pills. Ask your doctor about using some other methods of contraception (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) while you are taking Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid.
Q. Can I take a higher than the recommended dose of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid?
No, taking a higher than the recommended dose of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid can increase the risks side effects. Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid takes time to show its full effect and treat your infection. If you are experiencing increased severity of your symptoms, please consult your doctor for re-evaluation.
Q. What are the instructions for the storage and disposal of Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid?
Keep this medicine in the container or the pack it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.