Information about Amoxapine
Amoxapine is used in the treatment of depression. It is used in patients intolerant of or unresponsive to alternative treatment options for depression.
How amoxapine works
Amoxapine increases the levels of chemical messengers in the brain that help in regulating the mood and treat depression.
Common side effects of amoxapine
Sleepiness, Blurred vision, Weight gain, Dryness in mouth, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Difficulty in urination, Increased heart rate, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Constipation, Parkinsonism, Akathisia, Dystonia
Available Medicine for Amoxapine
- ₹58 to ₹108La Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹82Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹99Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹136Theo Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹85Psycormedies2 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹82Consern Pharma P Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹73KC Laboratories2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amoxapine
- The main dose should be taken at night as this drug may produce drowsiness or sleepiness.
- It can take 4 to 6 weeks for Amoxapine to start working.
- You should continue the treatment for at least 6 months after you feel better to stop depression from coming back.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Amoxapine, you should reduce the dose slowly over 4 weeks. You should not discontinue it abruptly.
- Avoid driving or operating machinery as it may decrease alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Amoxapine, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- The addiction/dependence potential of Amoxapine is very less.
- It may be extremely dangerous in overdose.
Frequently asked questions for Amoxapine
Q. What are the uses of Amoxapine?
Amoxapine is used for the treatment of depression
Q. How does Amoxapine work?
It acts by increasing the amount of chemicals (norepinephrine and serotonin) that is required to maintain normal mental balance
Q. Does Amoxapine cause weight gain?
Amoxapine causes change in weight (increase or decrease).