Information about Amitriptyline
How Amitriptyline works
Amitriptyline contains Amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant. It has anticholinergic and sedative properties. It prevents the reuptake, and hence the inactivation of neurotransmitters called noradrenaline and serotonin, that are present at the nerve terminals in our brain. Reuptake prevention of these monoamine neurotransmitters potentiate their action in the brain. This appears to be associated with the antidepressant activity and helps in regulating the mood. It also stops the transmission of pain signals from nerves to the brain thereby relieving neuropathic pain (pain from damaged nerves).
Common side effects of Amitriptyline
Constipation, Dryness in mouth, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Weight gain, Aggressive behavior, Nasal congestion (stuffy nose), Sleepiness, Dizziness, Headache, Decreased libido, Nausea, Fatigue, Confusion, Tremors, Speech disorder, Palpitations, Taste change, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Abnormality of voluntary movements, Loss of accommodation, Atrioventricular block, Micturition disorders, Erectile dysfunction, Abnormal ECG, Decreased sodium level in blood
Available Medicine for Amitriptyline
TryptomerDr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd
₹60 to ₹1004 variant(s)
EliwelSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹26 to ₹604 variant(s)
AmitoneIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹21 to ₹704 variant(s)
ShineShine Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹40 to ₹5106 variant(s)
SarotenaLundbeck India Pvt Ltd
₹25 to ₹653 variant(s)
₹23 to ₹543 variant(s)
₹25 to ₹2115 variant(s)
VivaxA N Pharmacia
₹25 to ₹553 variant(s)
RelidepReliance Formulation Pvt Ltd
₹25 to ₹404 variant(s)
KetripKivi Labs Ltd
₹24 to ₹262 variant(s)
Expert advice for Amitriptyline
- It may take 4 to 6 weeks for Amitriptyline to start working. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- It may cause sleepiness. Take it at bedtime and do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Amitriptyline as it may cause excessive sleepiness.
- Monitor your weight during the treatment as this medicine can cause weight gain and increased appetite.
- It may cause sudden drop in your blood pressure. Rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- Pay close attention to any changes, especially sudden changes, in mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. This is very important when an antidepressant medicine is started or when the dose is changed.