Information about Agomelatine
Agomelatine is used in the treatment of depression.
How agomelatine works
Agomelatine works by a resynchronizing sleep-wake cycle that is disturbed in depression.
Common side effects of agomelatine
Headache, Nausea, Dizziness, Fatigue, Anxiety, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Back pain, Abdominal pain, Change in body weight, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Sleepiness, Increased liver enzymes
Available Medicine for Agomelatine
- ₹80Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹107Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹102Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹83Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹69Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹49Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹72Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹110Eisai Pharmaceuticals India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹79Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Agomelatine
- Consult your doctor if you are taking medicines known to affect the liver, are obese or overweight, or have diabetes.
- Consult your doctor before starting treatment if you have experienced periods of abnormally high excitability and emotions (bipolar disorder, mania or hypomania).
- You may need regular tests to monitor your liver and kidney function.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever had suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself.
- Caution has to be taken before you drive or operate machinery or engage in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination as agomelatine can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not drink alcohol while receiving agomelatine treatment as it may worsen the side effects.
Frequently asked questions for Agomelatine
Q. Is Agomelatine an SSRI?
No, Agomelatine belongs to class of medication called as melatonergic antidepressants
Q. Is Agomelatine an addictive drug?
No, please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does Agomelatine cause weight gain?
Yes, it may cause an increase or decrease in weight.