Information about Adenosine
Adenosine is used in the treatment of arrhythmias.
How adenosine works
Adenosine treats irregular heartbeat by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart.
Common side effects of adenosine
Nausea, Lightheadedness, Slow heart rate, Headache, Breathlessness, Dizziness, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Chest tightness, Burning sensation.
Available Medicine for Adenosine
- ₹309 to ₹310Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹258 to ₹1097Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹239Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹104Celon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹208Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹215Molekule India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Adenosine
- Inform your doctor if you have any of the following heart problems: heart attack/ failure, or heart transplant within the last year; unusual heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation or flutter), low blood volume/ narrowing of heart valves.
- Consult your doctor if you have narrowing of the main arteries in your neck (carotid arteries).
- Take precautions while taking adenosine if you have recurrent fits.
- Caution must be exercised if you have had recurrent fits or experienced difficulty in breathing and problems associated with blood pressure, urination, defecation, etc.
- You may need to monitor your condition (ECG and blood pressure) while taking adenosine.
- Avoid food or drinks that have caffeine before taking this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Adenosine
Q. Is adenosine a hormone/an amino acid/nucleotides/beta blocker/calcium channel blocker?
Adenosine belongs to class of drugs called nucleosides. It acts by restoring the heart rhythm. It also relaxes blood vessels supplying the heart and increases blood flow, thereby relieving abnormal electrical activity due to compromised blood flow to heart
Q. Is adenosine a vasopressor/does adenosine cause vasodilation/ vasoconstriction/ bronchoconstriction?
Adenosine causes vasodilatation which may result in headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, tachycardia and flushing. It also causes bronchoconstriction resulting in breathlessness and chest discomfort
Q. Does adenosine makes you sleepy?
No. Adenosine has no effect on sleep
Q. Does adenosine cause atrial fibrillation?
Yes, adenosine can cause various types of disturbances in heart rhythm; atrial fibrillation is one of them.