Information about Acetylcysteine
Acetylcysteine is used for respiratory disease with excessive mucus. It acts as mucolytic (loosen mucus in airways) when used in oral preparations while when used as injection it treats paracetamol overdose toxicity.
How acetylcysteine works
Acetylcysteine is a mucolytic medication. It thins and loosens mucus (phlegm) making it easier to cough out. It also works as an antidote in paracetamol poisoning by replenishing the body's stores of glutathione, a chemical that removes toxic substances.
Common side effects of acetylcysteine
Nausea, Vomiting, Stomach upset, Rash
Available Medicine for Acetylcysteine
- ₹49 to ₹231Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹590Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹91 to ₹245Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹239Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹196Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹227Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹220Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹218Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹214Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹213Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acetylcysteine
- You have been prescribed Acetylcysteine for the treatment of various respiratory conditions associated with excessive mucus production.
- It has a smelly odor. This is normal and does not indicate that the medicine has changed.
- Dissolve the effervescent tablet in half a glass of water. Drink the solution immediately.
- Drink plenty of fluids to help loosen the congestion and lubricate your throat while you are taking this medication.