Information about 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose
2-Deoxy-D-Glucose is used in the treatment of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
How 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose works
2-Deoxy-D-Glucose is a medicine that resembles glucose structurally and is used to kill the virus causing Covid-19. The virus utilizes glucose to produce energy, and this energy is used by it to make copies of itself. Once given, 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose is readily absorbed by the ‘virus-infected cells’ as the virus takes it up just like glucose. On reaching the infected cells, the medicine stops energy production, inhibits further multiplication of the virus, and kills it. This helps in clearing the infection, even if it has spread to the lungs, and reduces the requirement of supplemental oxygen in moderate to severely infected Covid-19 patients.
Common side effects of 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose
No common side effects seen
Expert advice for 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose
- 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose helps in faster recovery of hospitalized COVID-19 patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence.
- This medicine is to be used only in moderate to severe COVID-19 cases.
- The medicine comes in powder form in a sachet, which is taken orally by dissolving it in water twice a day. However, it should be consumed only on the advice of a doctor.
- A COVID-19 patient may have to take this drug for five to seven days to get completely cured.
- 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose currently is not meant to be given to children as safety and efficacy are not yet established.