It is used to treat Vitamin D deficiency. It is also recommended to maintain strong bones and improve your bone mineral density in people with osteoporosis and bone disorders. The presence of Vitamin D3, a fat-soluble vitamin, helps the gut to absorb calcium from food. It also helps the body to maintain adequate levels of two minerals essential for bone health, calcium, and phosphorus. This further enables the body to preserve bone health.
Our body makes Vitamin D when our skin gets exposed to the sunlight. Sunscreen, protective clothing, limited exposure to sunlight, dark skin, and age may reduce the absorption of sunlight. As a result, the rate of production of Vitamin D in the body gets affected and may result in Vitamin D3 deficiency. Thus, Vitamin D3 in this capsule may provide extra help in maintaining Vitamin D3 for better calcium absorption in the body. Along with that, this vitamin has a significant role in helping with the absorption of calcium and phosphates from the bowel.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) recommends a daily supplement of 400 IU/day of Vitamin D3 for Indians, with an emphasis on outdoor activities to achieve adequate amounts of Vitamin D. Lack of Vitamin D can make you prone to numerous health complications such as osteoporosis, infections, allergies, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, tuberculosis, depression, and even cancer.
It is advised to maintain the level of Vitamin D3 in the body. Do not take more than the recommended dose as it may lead to various side effects which can include excessive loss of calcium from the bones. If you have any doubt or wish to know the dose, consult your doctor before taking it.
Cholecalciferol Granules (Vitamin D3): 60,000 IU
Key uses/benefits of Calcirol Sachet:
- Contains cholecalciferol, also known as "Vitamin D3", which is known to help in the proper growth and development of the body
- Plays a vital role in enhancing the calcium absorption from the intestines
- Helps in the treatment of Vitamin D3 deficiency and improve the symptoms
- Improves Vitamin D3 levels in the body caused due to inadequate absorption of Vitamin D3 by the digestive tract (possible reasons: conditions like Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, and cystic fibrosis)
- Assists in keeping the bones and teeth strong
- Improves bone density, aiding in the treatment of symptoms such as bone pain and back pain.
- Helps to maintain bone function and mitigate pain in the legs, ribs, and joints
- Improves the level of Vitamin D3 in people with fat malabsorption whose intestine fails to absorb fat from the diet
Directions for use:
Tear open the sachet and pour the powder into a glass. You can take it as advised by your doctor, but it is ideally recommended to be taken with milk. This is because milk also contains magnesium which promotes the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
Quick tips for Calcirol Sachet:
- These supplements should not be taken on an empty stomach or in between the meals like most medicines. To ensure optimum absorption, take these supplements strictly as advised by your doctor.
- Vitamin D3 supplements may interact with several medications. So, talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking.
- For effective results, it is wise to consult your doctor who will weigh the pros and cons of the medicine and then recommend the right dosage and type of supplement.
- In case you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose at the scheduled time.
- The deficiency of Vitamin D3 can be fixed by loading up your intake of Vitamin D either through diet or through sunlight and supplements.
Side effects of Calcirol Sachet:
Although it is not very common, levels of Vitamin D can exceed normal limits in the body. It usually happens due to an overdose of Vitamin D supplements. Increased levels of Vitamin D in the blood can cause increased absorption of calcium from the digestive system. This may result in increased levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia). In severe cases, it can lead to kidney failure and artery calcification (hardening of the arteries due to calcium deposition).
Safety and storage information:
- Read the label carefully before use.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Use under medical supervision.
FAQs related to Calcirol Sachet:
Q. How to eat Calcirol sachet?
The recommended dose is 1 sachet per day, preferably during meals. All you have to do is pour the contents of the sachet into a glass of water or milk. Stir with a spoon to ensure all the constituents are mixed properly and drink up.
Q. What is the best time to take Calcirol?
Though Vitamin D3 capsules can be taken with or without food, these capsules are best absorbed when taken orally after a meal. Ideally, Vitamin D3 supplements should be taken along with the largest meal of the day or with milk.
Q. Which form of Vitamin D is best?
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which is naturally present in very few foods. Vitamin D supplements are available in two forms: Vitamin D2 (“ergocalciferol” or pre-vitamin D) and Vitamin D3 (“cholecalciferol”). While Vitamin D2 is produced in plants and fungi, Vitamin D3 is produced in animals, including humans. Both these forms (Vitamin D2 and D3) are available as over-the-counter (OTC) dietary supplements in medical stores.
While Vitamin D2 has been used in prescription medicines for a long time, Vitamin D3 is also found to be equally effective in boosting Vitamin D levels. Hence, irrespective of the form of the supplement, it is advised to ensure your daily intake of this vitamin either through diet or supplement.
Q. Can I take Calcirol with milk?
Yes, it is advised to take this product with milk as it helps in better absorption. All you have to do is tear open the sachet and pour the powder into a glass and add milk. Drink the suggested quantity of the mixture as directed by the physician.
Q. Is it better to take Vitamin D every day or once a week?
The dosage of Vitamin D will depend on the levels of Vitamin D3 in your body and your health problem (which includes the severity of your condition). So, it would be best to consult your doctor for a detailed analysis of your condition and your dose requirement. However, certain studies have proved that daily Vitamin D was more effective than weekly. So talk to your doctor to know the right dose suitable for you.
Q. What are the signs and symptoms of Vitamin D3 deficiency?
There are no confirmed signs which can indicate Vitamin D deficiency which is why most people remain unaware of any possible deficiency. Low levels of Vitamin D in the body can make you more prone to infections and may cause hair loss. Some may also feel tired/fatigued, depressed, suffer from bone pain and experience muscle pain.
Q. What is the best time to take Vitamin D3 capsules?
Though Vitamin D3 capsules can be taken with or without food, these capsules are best absorbed when taken orally after a meal. Ideally, Vitamin D3 supplements should be taken along with the largest meal of the day or with milk.References:
1. Vitamin D. NIN. ICMR
2. Vitamin D. National Institute of Health (NIH)