Information about Zuclopenthixol
Zuclopenthixol is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How zuclopenthixol works
Zuclopenthixol works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects the thoughts and moods.
Common side effects of zuclopenthixol
Weight gain, Sleepiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Akathisia, Dystonia, Dry mouth, Constipation, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Parkinsonism
Available Medicine for Zuclopenthixol
- ₹124 to ₹448Lundbeck India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹146Lundbeck India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zuclopenthixol
- Zuclopenthixol should be used with caution if you have following medical conditions: liver disease, heart disease, arrhythmias, severe respiratory disease, kidney failure, fits (epilepsy) and conditions leading to fits like alcohol withdrawal or brain damage, Parkinson's disease, narrow angle glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, myasthenia gravis, phaeochromocytoma.
- You should avoid sudden withdrawal of zuclopenthixol as this may lead to acute withdrawal symptoms (including nausea, vomiting, sweating and insomnia).
- Inform your doctor if you develop signs of persistent infection.
- Zuclopenthixol should be used with caution if you have diabetes and adjustment of antidiabetic treatment may be required.
- Use of alcohol and other antipsychotics should be avoided when you are on zuclopenthixol therapy.
- Do not use if you have rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
- Zuclopenthixol may affect your concentration and judgement. Do not drive or operate machinery till you feel fine.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Zuclopenthixol
Q. What is Zuclopenthixol/ Zuclopenthixol decanoate/ Zuclopenthixol decanoate depot used for?
Zuclopenthixol is used for the initial treatment of short-term psychoses like mania or increased severity of existing psychoses. It is also used to treat schizophrenia (psychiatric disorder with symptoms of emotional instability, detachment from reality, often with delusions and hallucinations, and withdrawal into the self)
Q. How does Zuclopenthixol work?
Zuclopenthixol works by blocking certain chemicals present in the brain and thus helps to reduce psychoses.