Information about Zoledronic acid
Zoledronic acid Uses
Zoledronic acid is used in the treatment of osteoporosis. It treats osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men at high risk of fractures.
How Zoledronic acid works
Zoledronic acid is a bisphosphonate. It works by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause destruction of bone. This strengthens the bones and minimizes the risk of fractures.
Common side effects of Zoledronic acid
Headache, Diarrhea, Joint pain, Muscle pain, Vomiting, Nausea, Flu-like symptoms, Bone pain, Hypotension (low blood pressure)
Available Medicine for Zoledronic acid
ZoldonatNatco Pharma Ltd
NatzoldNatco Pharma Ltd
ZolastaIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
ZolteroHetero Drugs Ltd
Stoplos OneZydus Cadila
GemdronicAlkem Laboratories Ltd
VacosteoPanacea Biotec Ltd
Expert advice for Zoledronic acid
- Your doctor has prescribed Zoledronic acid to make your bones stronger and lower the risk of fractures.
- Take it in the morning at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
- It may cause the amount of calcium in your blood to fall. Take calcium-rich food in your diet and have regular blood tests to monitor the level of calcium in your blood.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and kidney damage.
- You may develop fever or flu like symptoms, such as chills, tiredness and weakness. These are usually temporary and should go away after a few days. You may take a pain reliever/fever reducer to prevent or treat these symptoms.
- It may cause a rare condition called osteonecrosis of the jaw. Have regular dental check-ups and inform your doctor if you develop sudden pain in your jaw.
- Your doctor will monitor your response to Zoledronic acid by testing your bone mineral density (BMD). This is usually done every 1-3 years.
- Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.