Information about Xylometazoline
Xylometazoline is used in the treatment of nasal congestion.
How xylometazoline works
Xylometazoline narrows the small blood vessels, which provide temporary relief from congestion or stuffiness in the nose.
Common side effects of xylometazoline
Sneezing, Soreness, Dryness, Tingling sensation, Itching, Burning sensation.
Available Medicine for Xylometazoline
- ₹38 to ₹51Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹50Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹51Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46Klar Sehen Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹55Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹46FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹64Indoco Remedies Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹30FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹38DWD Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Xylometazoline
- Do not take more than 3 doses of xylometazoline in 24 hours or do not take a double dose if you miss any dose.
- Do not use it continuously for more than 7 days in case of nasal sprays and 5 days in case of nasal drops. Longer use could cause damage to the nasal tissue and lead to chronic congestion.
- Do not use nasal sprays in children under the age of 12 years and nasal drops under the age of 6 years.
- Do not take xylometazoline if you are allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients.
- Do not take xylometazoline if you recently had surgery.
- Avoid using xylometazoline if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: high blood pressure or heart disease; diabetes; an overactive thyroid gland; rare cancer of the adrenal gland; closed angle glaucoma or increase pressure in the eye; inflammation of the skin and/or mucosa of the nasal vestibule.
Frequently asked questions for Xylometazoline
Q. What is xylometazoline hydrochloride/ what is xylometazoline hydrochloride used for/ is xylometazoline a steroid/ an antihistamine?
Xylometazoline is a topical decongestant and is used to for relief of the blocked; congested nose and sinuses caused by colds and allergies such as hay fever. It is neither a steroid nor an antihistamine
Q. How does xylometazoline/xylometazoline hydrochloride work?
Xylometazoline relieves nasal and sinus congestion by constricting (shrinking) blood vessels (veins and arteries) in the nose
Q. Is xylometazoline hydrochloride addictive/ is xylometazoline addiction?
Prolonged use of xylometazoline may lead to its addiction in some.