Information about Valganciclovir
Valganciclovir is used in the treatment of Eye infections by Herpes simplex virus.
How valganciclovir works
Valganciclovir is an antiviral drug. It prevents the multiplication of the virus in human cells. Thus stops the virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of valganciclovir
Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Diarrhoea, Anemia, Breathlessness
Available Medicine for Valganciclovir
- ₹1304Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹956Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4400Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹844Steadfast Medishield Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹980La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹849RPG Life Sciences Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹865Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹942Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1200 to ₹1800Jolly Healthcare2 variant(s)
- ₹850Alniche Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Valganciclovir
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Drink plenty of water while on treatment with Valganciclovir. This helps to prevent kidney stone and kidney damage.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems. A dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- You should not have sex if you have genital sores or blisters. If you're taking Valganciclovir for herpes, you should use barrier methods (condoms) when you're having sex since you can still pass it on to other people, even if you're taking the medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Valganciclovir
Q. What is valganciclovir used for?
Valganciclovir is used for the treatment of cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection of retina (retinitis) in adult patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). It is also used for the prevention of CMV infection in patients who have received an organ transplant from a CMV-infected donor
Q. How does valganciclovir work?
After taken orally, valganciclovir gets converted into ganciclovir by liver and intestinal enzymes, which then prevents the growth and spread of cytomegalovirus.
Q. Is valganciclovir cytotoxic?
No, valganciclovir is not cytotoxic
Q. Does valganciclovir cover HSV?
Valganciclovir can also be used for treatment of herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection. Please follow doctor's advice regarding its use