Information about Trimethoprim
Trimethoprim is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How trimethoprim works
Trimethoprim is an antibiotic. It works by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions. Thus, it stops the bacteria from growing, and prevents the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of trimethoprim
Nausea, Vomiting, Skin rash, Mouth ulcer, Fever, Urticaria, Sick, Diarrhea, Headache, Anemia (low number of red blood cells)
Available Medicine for Trimethoprim
- ₹8Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹60Mancare Labs Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Renauxe Pharma India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Trimethoprim
- Your doctor has prescribed Trimethoprim to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Your doctor will ensure that you are well hydrated during treatment with this medicine.
- Your doctor may get regular blood, urine tests while you are on this medication.
- Do not take Trimethoprim if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Discontinue Trimethoprim and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Trimethoprim
Q. How long does Trimethoprim takes to work?
Usually, Trimethoprim starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Trimethoprim?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Trimethoprim when my symptoms are relieved?
No, do not stop taking Trimethoprim and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.