Information about Trazodone
Trazodone is used in the treatment of depression.
How trazodone works
Trazodone modulates the level of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a chemical messenger in the brain that helps in regulating the mood.
Common side effects of trazodone
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Constipation, Blurred vision
Available Medicine for Trazodone
- ₹26 to ₹81Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹64Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹53Reliance Formulation Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹59La Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹56Consern Pharma P Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹49Gujarat Terce Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹21Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹54Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Trazodone
- Trazodone takes time to start the antidepressant effect (about 2 weeks) and in the meantime, you may have suicidal thoughts and tendencies especially young people <25 years of age. Inform your doctor immediately as this may be a side effect of the drug.
- Elderly people are more likely to suffer from side effects of the drug.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of fits or seizures, severe kidney or liver or heart problems, urinating problems, hyperthyroidism, an eye disorder called narrow angle glaucoma, schizophrenia or other mental disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are about to undergo surgery or receive anesthesia.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as trazodone may cause sleepiness or dizziness.
- Do not drink alcohol while on therapy with trazodone as it may worsen the side effects.
- You should take trazodone at the same time every day in the late evening, preferably at bedtime, on an empty stomach. When discontinued, gradual dose reduction is recommended.
Frequently asked questions for Trazodone
Q. Is trazodone a mono amine oxidase inhibitor/ selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor/ opiate/ barbiturate/ anti cholinergic/ habit forming/ controlled substance?
Trazodone is not a mono amine oxidase inhibitor/ selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor/ opiate/ barbiturate/ anti cholinergic/ habit forming/ controlled substance
Q. Is trazodone taken for anxiety?
Trazodone is taken for anxiety and depression
Q. Is trazodone taken for sleep or pain?
Trazodone is not prescribed for sleep or pain relief
Q. Does trazodone have sulpha?
Trazodone does not have sulpha in it
Q. Does trazodone cause fluctuation in blood pressure/ diarrhea/ feeling high?
Trazodone may cause blood pressure fluctuations. It is not known to cause diarrhea/ feeling high
Q. Does trazodone cause anxiety or depression?
It is given for the treatment of anxiety and depression. Please consult your doctor for any observed side effects
Q. Can trazodone be taken with nyquil/ benadryl/ zoloft/ Cymbalta/ valium/ paxil/ flexeril/ melatonin/ xanax?
Trazodone cannot be taken with Nyquil/ Benadryl/ Zoloft/ Cymbalta/ valium/ paxil/ flexeril/ Xanax. Trazodone can be taken with melatonin. Please consult your doctor for any potential interaction.