Information about Topiramate
Topiramate is used to prevent seizures and migraine headaches.
How topiramate works
Topiramate is an antiepileptic medication. It controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of topiramate
Dizziness, Sleepiness, Nausea, Altered taste, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Fatigue, Diarrhoea, Weight loss, Memory impairment
Available Medicine for Topiramate
- ₹86 to ₹324Janssen Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹199Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹254Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹174Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹99Unichem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹140Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹145Icon Life Sciences3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹108Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹137Kivi Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹121Crescent Therapeutics Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Topiramate
- Topiramate should be taken at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body.
- Do not stop using Topiramate without talking to your doctor, even if you feel better.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day while taking Topiramate. This can reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- Proper hydration prior to and during activities such as exercise or exposure to warm temperature may reduce the risk of side effects such as decreased sweating and rise in body temperature.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Topiramate, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any medicines to treat glaucoma.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Topiramate
Q. Is Topiramate a narcotic, benzodiazepine, MAOI, or blood-thinning drug?
No. Topiramate is not a narcotic, benzodiazepine, MAOI, or a blood-thinning drug
Q. Can I take Topiramate for weight loss?
No. Topiramate is not indicated for weight loss. It is indicated for the treatment of seizures and migraine headaches. Please consult your doctor before taking the medicine
Q. Is Topiramate good for anxiety?
Topiramate is not indicated for the treatment of anxiety. Please consult your doctor before taking the medicine
Q. Is Topiramate safe?
Topiramate is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Can I take topiramate with naproxen, paracetamol, tramadol, Nyquil, Advil, Wellbutrin, methadone, phenteramine, Percocet, Adderall, Zoloft,Vicodin or garcinia?
Topiramate can be taken with naproxen, paracetamol, tramadol, Advil (ibuprofen), or garcinia only if prescribed by your doctor. Topiramate should not be taken with Nyquil, methadone, Percocet (oxycodone), Phenteramine, Zoloft (sertraline), and Vicodin (hydrocodone)
Q. Does Topiramate cause acne, tiredness, weight gain, weight loss, itching, low blood pressure, or insomnia?
Yes. Topiramate may cause acne, tiredness, weight loss, itching, low blood pressure, or insomnia. It does not cause weight gain. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does Topiramate affect birth control?
Yes. Topiramate may affect the action of oral contraceptive pills. Please consult your doctor to confirm whether you require a secondary birth control measure while taking Topiramate.