Information about Topiramate
How topiramate works
Topiramate controls seizures or fits by suppressing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of topiramate
Dizziness, Sleepiness, Nausea, Altered taste, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Fatigue, Diarrhoea, Weight loss, Memory impairment.
Available Medicine for Topiramate
- ₹79 to ₹297Janssen Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹252Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹185Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹174Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹99Unichem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹140Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹108Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹145Icon Life Sciences3 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹137Kivi Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹98Pulse Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Topiramate
- Do not take topiramate if you are allergic to it or to any other content in the medicine.
- Avoid using topiramate if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: liver or kidney problems or require kidney dialysis; eye problems or growth problems; blood- or body fluid- related problems such as metabolic acidosis.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day while taking this drug, to prevent you from getting kidney stones.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery when taking topiramate as it may lead to dizziness or vision problems.
Frequently asked questions for Topiramate
Q. Is topiramate a narcotic, benzodiazepine, MAOI, or blood-thinning drug?
No. Topiramate is not a narcotic, benzodiazepine, MAOI, or a blood-thinning drug
Q. Can I take topiramate for weight loss?
No. Topiramate is not indicated for weight loss. It is indicated for the treatment of seizures and migraine headaches. Please consult your doctor before taking the medicine
Q. Is topiramate good for anxiety?
Topiramate is not indicated for the treatment of anxiety. Please consult your doctor before taking the medicine
Q. Is topiramate safe?
Topiramate is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Can I take topiramate with naproxen, paracetamol, tramadol, Nyquil, Advil, Wellbutrin, methadone, phenteramine, Percocet, Adderall, Zoloft,Vicodin or garcinia?
Topiramate can be taken with naproxen, paracetamol, tramadol, Advil (ibuprofen), or garcinia only if prescribed by your doctor. Topiramate should not be taken with Nyquil, methadone, Percocet (oxycodone), Phenteramine, Zoloft (sertraline), and Vicodin (hydrocodone)
Q. Does topiramate cause acne, tiredness, weight gain, weight loss, itching, low blood pressure, or insomnia?
Yes. Topiramate may cause acne, tiredness, weight loss, itching, low blood pressure, or insomnia. It does not cause weight gain. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor
Q. Does topiramate affect birth control?
Yes. Topiramate may affect the action of oral contraceptive pills. Please consult your doctor to confirm whether you require a secondary birth control measure while taking topiramate.