Information about Tolperisone
Tolperisone is used for muscle relaxation. It is used to treat acute musculoskeletal pain.
How tolperisone works
Tolperisone is a muscle relaxant. It works on the centres in the brain and spinal cord to relieve muscle stiffness or spasm without reduction in strength. This improves pain and movement of muscles.
Common side effects of tolperisone
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Weakness
Available Medicine for Tolperisone
- ₹118 to ₹213Zuventus Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹79 to ₹203Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹224Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹296Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹361Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹249La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹130Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹108Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹114 to ₹160Strides shasun Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹271Icon Life Sciences4 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tolperisone
- Tolperisone provides relief from rigidity, tension and stiffness in muscles (spasticity) that may occur due to various conditions affecting the nervous system.
- Take it with or after food or a glass of milk.
- Tolperisone may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Tolperisone as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking it suddenly without talking to your doctor if you've been on it for a long time.
Frequently asked questions for Tolperisone
Q. Is Tolperisone a painkiller?
Tolperisone is not a direct painkiller. It is a muscle relaxant commonly used where certain muscles are in constant contraction. It is used in the treatment of long-term pain conditions. It works by relaxing the muscles and relieving the spasm. It is important to know that this medicine is not advised to be taken in all pain conditions. Your doctor will decide when to prescribe this medicine.
Q. Does Tolperisone cause drowsiness?
Yes, there are chances that Tolperisone can cause drowsiness and sleepiness. Hence, avoid driving or working with heavy machines while you take this medication. Before starting the medication consult the doctor and also inform if you are on any sleep medication.
Q. Is Tolperisone addictive?
No, Tolperisone is not an addictive medicine. It is a muscle relaxant medication and has no addictive potential.
Q. Can I take Tolperisone for back pain?
Tolperisone is prescribed to patients with chronic back pain. It is a muscle relaxant, it relaxes the spasm of the back muscles which helps in decreasing the pain. Consult your doctor to properly diagnose the reason for the back pain before you start taking this medication.
Q. Can Tolperisone be given in pregnant and nursing women?
No, Tolperisone should not given to women who are pregnant or planning to get pregnant and mothers who are lactating. This is because no established data is available on the usage of this medication in these patients. It is also not known whether Tolperisone can pass to the baby through the breast milk. Consult your doctor before you start taking this medication.